SkyDemon Forums

Changing position source mid flight

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic28074.aspx

By Lerk - 3/18/2019 8:27:45 PM

My new share-o-plane has a PilotAware fitted on a cigarette lighter adaptor.
Saves messing with a usb battery like my previous rental setup, but being switched on with the avionics master means that it isn’t ready for use for a couple of minutes after startup.
I’ve got quite used to the engine start and off blocks logging, but this requires starting the flight before the engine is started.
Is there any way to start a flight using my iPad’s location services and then switch to the PilotAware once that has booted?
It should have finished booting by the time runup checks are completed...
By PaulSS - 3/31/2019 1:54:45 AM

Lerk - 3/30/2019 5:15:26 PM
Been for a fly this morning and experimented with how the setup works.I found out that the usb supply is actually on the main bus not the avionics, so turning on the pilotaware before the engine is actually possible, it just takes a long while of waiting with the master switch on before being able to start the engine.I might just revert to battery power for the pilotaware as I already have the battery and it easily lasts a full days flying.

I'm glad you are able to start PAW before the engine as that solves your principal problem.

Lee (on the PAW Forum) has said the latest iteration of software will boot up a lot faster.

I fly an aircraft with a Dynon Skyview and that takes a fair while to boot up. Not excessively long but certainly long enough that when it's 38 degs I want to close the canopy and get the cooling fan at the front going. So, I flick on the Master and Skyview and then do the external inspection, so everything is booted up by the time I've checked the number of wings still attached. The Skyview will draw a lot more current than a PAW box :-)