Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Changing position source mid flight

Author
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I suspect it is not perfectly clear - my suggestion solely points to the GPS source fallback to make sure the tracking works. If Skydemon would allow a traffic source not also being the GPS provider, I personally would stop using it that minute. GPS position and traffic must come from one origin, otherwise we violate everything which made flying that safe. On fallback to internal GPS you loose all traffic addendum to your eyeballs, my 100percent opinion, full stop.
Edited 3/20/2019 7:30:58 PM by MarkusM
George Reid
George Reid
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
b3nn0 - 3/20/2019 7:21:33 PM
Tim Dawson - 3/20/2019 10:51:58 AM
A traffic source without a GPS may not accurately be able to determine for us the difference between pressure altitude and GPS altitude. I suppose we could use an internal GPS if one was available for doing that, but are there really traffic receivers without built-in GPS being marketed?

Hmm well, you are right, maybe that stretch is a little too far. For Stratux you have the choice if you build one with or without GPS, but then again, the difference isn't rellay that big.
On the other hand, as others have described with PilotAware, I also have problems with frequent short GPS errors. A Flight log typically looks like this for me:
Notice all the short sections with red dots where GPS drops out. Would be really handy if Skydemon just switched over to the Internal GPS in the meantime (And I should probably pruchase a new, better GPS...).

I use Pilotaware as My GPS source for Navigation and as a traffic awareness device. Occasionally Pilotaware GPS Loses lock and GPS information is lost. In such circumstances it would be helpful if SkyDemon could revert to an alternative GPS Source to continue the navigation function (without traffic awareness). In my case it would need to be my GARMIN GLO connected to my ipad mini via Bluetooth, but for other hardware setups it could be an internal GPS receiver.  So when I select GoFlying I would specify PilotAware as the GPS source, but in the event of a GPS Signal loss I would like SkyDemon to revert to using Location Services as a fallback.

George E A Reid

Ipad Mini 5,  IOS 14.4,  SD 3.15.0.288
PC(Win 10, Version 19041.804)  SD 3.15.0.0

Lerk
L
Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)
GPS position and traffic must come from one origin, otherwise we violate everything which made flying that safe. On fallback to internal GPS you loose all traffic addendum to your eyeballs, my 100percent opinion, full stop.

I’m afraid I don’t follow your logic...
If I understand the system rightly an ADS-B contact is providing its own GPS location that has nothing to do with your GPS receiver and a bearingless contact has zero impact on your location, although if I understand Tim’s comment above correctly the gps altitude is used.

As stated the Stratus can be built without GPS and apparently other providers can use separate location and traffic streams so it would appear to be technically possible.
Edited 3/20/2019 8:26:02 PM by Lerk
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Technically possible it may be, but I don't understand the point. In fact I think it's pointless.

If anyone is having a problem with their PAW GPS, please report that to PAW or switch to a different GPS dongle. If my understanding is correct, PAW is a product in which you can do such things. It isn't SkyDemon's job to make up for deficiencies that are really rooted in your choice of hardware.

I agree with Markus; there is integrity in having one source for both position, traffic and weather data.

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
None of this speculation answers Lerk's original question nor serves to solve his problem.
Lerk
L
Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)Too Much Forum (110 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/21/2019 10:28:11 AM
Technically possible it may be, but I don't understand the point. In fact I think it's pointless.

If anyone is having a problem with their PAW GPS, please report that to PAW or switch to a different GPS dongle. If my understanding is correct, PAW is a product in which you can do such things. It isn't SkyDemon's job to make up for deficiencies that are really rooted in your choice of hardware.

I agree with Markus; there is integrity in having one source for both position, traffic and weather data.

Please don't forget my original query was to allow logging to begin before the GPS had obtained a position source.

The GPS issues are likely easily solved by relocating the receiver to a position with less obstruction.

The fact that I have a secondary GPS source and mentioned splitting the two to allow redundancy was feature creep.

Lerk
L
Haha,
Paul S S posted that as I was writing my reply!

neilmurg
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
Lerk - 3/21/2019 12:20:55 PM

Please don't forget my original query was to allow logging to begin before the GPS had obtained a position source.

The GPS issues are likely easily solved by relocating the receiver to a position with less obstruction.

The fact that I have a secondary GPS source and mentioned splitting the two to allow redundancy was feature creep.

I have a similar setup and did think about being able to use SD / PAw before engine start for recording Engine On / Off Blocks. My PAw takes 1m:50s before it's providing WiFi and GPS. I came to the comclusion that I'd need to provide an intermediate power source, like a Anker battery to allow the PAw to be ready.
In the end I concluded that this was more trouble that it was worth for the benefit, so I let the PAw warm up with the engine running and I'm ready to SD:'Go Flying' by the time I call the tower. Depending on your personal routine there may also be time during the A-check to allow SD to be online and update the latest Weather / Notams

Lerk
L
neilmurg - 3/21/2019 2:47:09 PM
Lerk - 3/21/2019 12:20:55 PM

I have a similar setup and did think about being able to use SD / PAw before engine start for recording Engine On / Off Blocks. My PAw takes 1m:50s before it's providing WiFi and GPS. I came to the comclusion that I'd need to provide an intermediate power source, like a Anker battery to allow the PAw to be ready.
In the end I concluded that this was more trouble that it was worth for the benefit, so I let the PAw warm up with the engine running and I'm ready to SD:'Go Flying' by the time I call the tower. Depending on your personal routine there may also be time during the A-check to allow SD to be online and update the latest Weather / Notams

Do you not have to log engine times, or do you just add on 2 minutes to the time then Neilmurg?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
You can certainly start logging before your traffic receiver has obtained a GPS source! SkyDemon doesn't prevent you from doing anything logging-wise in in-flight mode just because a fix hasn't yet been obtained.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search