Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon and Dynon Skyview in-flight connectivity issue

Author
M
Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear Guys, probably someone have similar issue as my connectivity problem and could suggest me how to solve this.

Flying with:
- Dynon Skyview (latest software)
- Skydemon (latest software) on android tablet Samsung Galaxy S2 8.0 (installed fixed in the aircraft)
- Wi-Fi Adapter for SkyView

While in-flight, the tablet/skydemon loses the current position on my screen and I get the message: "seeking for gps satellites"
After some seconds the connection is established again and I can monitor the aircraft position on the tablet again until the next signal loss. It happens regularly almost every 2-3 minutes.
I dont think it is a problem with the gps antenna of my aircraft because when it happens on the tablet, at the same time my dynon skyview screen works well and continuously.

I would very much appreciate any kind of hints and help if you have had similar experience. Thank you !

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Mazsola - 3/10/2019 6:28:41 PM
Dear Guys, probably someone have similar issue as my connectivity problem and could suggest me how to solve this.

Flying with:
- Skydemon (latest software) on android tablet Samsung Galaxy S2 8.0 (installed fixed in the aircraft)

While in-flight, the tablet/skydemon loses the current position on my screen and I get the message: "seeking for gps satellites"
After some seconds the connection is established again and I can monitor the aircraft position on the tablet again until the next signal loss. It happens regularly almost every 2-3 minutes.
I dont think it is a problem with the gps antenna of my aircraft because when it happens on the tablet, at the same time my dynon skyview screen works well and continuously.

I would very much appreciate any kind of hints and help if you have had similar experience. Thank you !

I have Skyview and use with an iPad. I've not experienced this problem but, if Skyview is not losing position, then it sounds like the wifi adaptor is suspect. Your tablet should be able to show whether the wifi connection is being lost. If it is, I would try reseating the dongle first then, if that doesn't fix the problem, replace- fortunately, unlike most Dynon kit, the dongle is not expensive!. You could also interrogate the log file in Skyview which might show something.

Mazsola
M
Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)
Skyboy999 - 3/11/2019 2:45:12 PM
Mazsola - 3/10/2019 6:28:41 PM

Flying with:

I have Skyview and use with an iPad. I've not experienced this problem but, if Skyview is not losing position, then it sounds like the wifi adaptor is suspect. Your tablet should be able to show whether the wifi connection is being lost. If it is, I would try reseating the dongle first then, if that doesn't fix the problem, replace- fortunately, unlike most Dynon kit, the dongle is not expensive!. You could also interrogate the log file in Skyview which might show something.

Hi ! OK, I will give a try to check the WIFI connection, it was also my first hint. Either the the wifi antenna of the tablet or the wifi-dongle... I dont know how exactly to check the signal...
There is a similar thread in the dynon forum here:
Thank you !

Mazsola
M
What I did to try to improve the situation:
- checked WIFI status on the tablet: it is on maximum, states outstanding signal. Connected to and sees Skydemon (according to settings menu)
- switched the two dynon WIFI dongles between the two Dynon screens
- installed skydemon on another tablet (also android) to check any difference in behavior
- checked skydemon software status again and then upgraded to march 08 version.

And then with this latest software upgrade a completely new and unexpected phenomenon raised:
I can start Skydemon but when I touch the "go-fly" button, I got following error message:
"Skydemon needs to be given access to your location before it can operate in Go Flying mode"

That means, although the wifi connection to Dynon is established (shown in the settings menu) there is no connection to the Dynon modul and the to built in GPS...?
I checked this with both of my tablets independently, both times got the same result ! Currently I can not use the dynon GPS at all.

Anyone out there with similar experience ?
Could this be a problem of the wifi-dongles ? But then, why can I see the established wifi connection in the settings menu of the tablet?
Thank you for your feedback !

George Reid
George Reid
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
Mazsola - 3/17/2019 1:18:47 PM
- checked WIFI status on the tablet: it is on maximum, states outstanding signal. Connected to and sees Skydemon (according to settings menu)
- installed skydemon on another tablet (also android) to check any difference in behavior

And then with this latest software upgrade a completely new and unexpected phenomenon raised:
I can start Skydemon but when I touch the "go-fly" button, I got following error message:
"Skydemon needs to be given access to your location before it can operate in Go Flying mode"

That means, although the wifi connection to Dynon is established (shown in the settings menu) there is no connection to the Dynon modul and the to built in GPS...?
I checked this with both of my tablets independently, both times got the same result ! Currently I can not use the dynon GPS at all.

Could this be a problem of the wifi-dongles ? But then, why can I see the established wifi connection in the settings menu of the tablet?

In the setup for your SkyDemon, is Dynon Skyview still checked under Third-Party Devices?

George E A Reid

Ipad Mini 5,  IOS 14.4,  SD 3.15.0.288
PC(Win 10, Version 19041.804)  SD 3.15.0.0

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)

Just a thought- you say Dynon is showing moving map

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Skyboy999 - 3/20/2019 7:47:30 AM

Just a thought- you say Dynon is showing moving map

Hmm, don't know what happened there- clumsy fingers I suspect. What I was going to say is that if Dynon is working ok i.e. has access to GPS source, are you sure it is using 'it's' GPS. Clearly, this can only arise if you have another GPS source connected but, if this is the case, then double check that Dynon is actually using it's own GPS as, if not, that could be faulty.

Mazsola
M
George Reid - 3/17/2019 3:28:17 PM

In the setup for your SkyDemon, is Dynon Skyview still checked under Third-Party Devices?

Yesss, you are right ! With the last SkyDemon software update (08.march) the tickbox for third party device Dynon was emptied...
Checked and it works again !
Only the initial problem with the unreliable connectivity remaines Sad I will change the tablet, it could be also a source of the problem...

w.teckentrup
w
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
Mazsola - 3/20/2019 6:03:11 PM

Yesss, you are right ! With the last SkyDemon software update (08.march) the tickbox for third party device Dynon was emptied...
Only the initial problem with the unreliable connectivity remaines Sad I will change the tablet, it could be also a source of the problem...

w.teckentrup
w
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
w.teckentrup - 3/29/2022 9:58:03 PM
Mazsola - 3/20/2019 6:03:11 PM

Hello Mazsola,
I am a German pilot using Dynon Skyview and SkyDemon running on a Samsung Tablet S7 and I am experiencing the same problems as you describe: The connection between Skyview and SkyDemon is not at all stable, it breaks down ever so often before automatically building up again. 
So I am very interested in reading whether you finally found a solution to the problem or whether you just bought a new tablet.
Kind regards 
Wilfried

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search