Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Download of AIP-data via WLAN extremly slow

Author
T
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Since the latest update of SD and iOS I have a problem downloading/updating AIP-data. I encounter the issue both on an iPad 4 mini as well as on an iPhone 8. Both devices have the latest iOS 12.0.1 and the latest version of SD 3.10.5.134. Also, I encounter this regardless of the WLAN or internet connection used (home, two different offices and hotel).

The download of the AIP does work but is extremly slow when trying to download files via WLAN.

I tried a few combinations in order to get closer to the problem:

- Time required to download AIP-files into the PC-version of SD via a DSL-connection is as normal.
- Time required to download AIP-files into phone and tablet via LTE works normal (considering the amount of data to be loaded this is hardly a permanent solution).
- Time to download updates into other apps on the mobile devices via WLAN is normal.
- Time to load and open large e-mail attachements on the phone and the tablet via WLAN is normal (5 seconds for an 8MB file).
- Downloading AIP-files via WLAN into SD on the mobile devices takes forever (in excess of 45 mins for a 4MB-file).

I have tried to download different files in different country AIPs with the same result to exclude that the problem is with a single file.

The above applies both to my iPhone as well as my iPad so I presume the problem must be somewhere between iOS and SD as the WLAN-networks and DSL-connections seem to be fine and the download of files via LTE into SD also works as normal.

Short of deleting SD and re-installing it (which might become troublesome in case I thereafter still cannot load any AIP-date): Any thoughts appreciated.
Edited 10/27/2018 7:29:20 PM by Thaler
Roland
Roland
Too Much Forum (203 reputation)Too Much Forum (203 reputation)Too Much Forum (203 reputation)Too Much Forum (203 reputation)Too Much Forum (203 reputation)Too Much Forum (203 reputation)Too Much Forum (203 reputation)Too Much Forum (203 reputation)Too Much Forum (203 reputation)
Thaler - 10/27/2018 7:28:55 PM
Since the latest update of SD and iOS I have a problem downloading/updating AIP-data. I encounter the issue both on an iPad 4 mini as well as on an iPhone 8. Both devices have the latest iOS 12.0.1 and the latest version of SD 3.10.5.134. Also, I encounter this regardless of the WLAN or internet connection used (home, two different offices and hotel).

The download of the AIP does work but is extremly slow when trying to download files via WLAN.

I tried a few combinations in order to get closer to the problem:

- Time required to download AIP-files into the PC-version of SD via a DSL-connection is as normal.
- Time required to download AIP-files into phone and tablet via LTE works normal (considering the amount of data to be loaded this is hardly a permanent solution).
- Time to download updates into other apps on the mobile devices via WLAN is normal.
- Time to load and open large e-mail attachements on the phone and the tablet via WLAN is normal (5 seconds for an 8MB file).
- Downloading AIP-files via WLAN into SD on the mobile devices takes forever (in excess of 45 mins for a 4MB-file).

I have tried to download different files in different country AIPs with the same result to exclude that the problem is with a single file.

The above applies both to my iPhone as well as my iPad so I presume the problem must be somewhere between iOS and SD as the WLAN-networks and DSL-connections seem to be fine and the download of files via LTE into SD also works as normal.

Short of deleting SD and re-installing it (which might become troublesome in case I thereafter still cannot load any AIP-date): Any thoughts appreciated.

I encountered the same problem. Download stops at big files bigger than 1.000 kB. I could force SD to continue download by stopping all other apps (double click the home-button and swiping away all apps including SD) and then restart SD. This works some 100MB until it needs repeating the procedure.
Download of single files, even big ones, was never a problem.

EGBPdriver
E
Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)
Me too - on iPhone (IOS10) and iPad (IOS11). 

No IOS updates so this seems to be Skydemon related. 

Currently unable to update my France AIP data because there is a 17MB file (2018-217 creation of 87 Temp restricted areas) that the update cannot get past, so this is a big problem for me.

Updates start quickly but then slow down to virtually a standstill. 

Being of technical background, I'd say there is throttling in place on downloads at the back end.

Please can someone look into resolving asap as this is causing a big problem. Thanks!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I just gave this a try on an iPad in the office. It downloaded the entire French AIP (482mb according to the window) in less than two minutes. There is no throttling of PDF downloads from our servers.
EGBPdriver
E
Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)
Thanks Tim.

All I can say is I came onto the Forum to see if there was a fix because (similar to Thaler's earlier post), I tried it yesterday from a completely different Wifi location and got the same problem. (also having problems with 4G)

This is definitely a new issue as I downloaded a whole bunch of AIP data over the summer for various trips without issue - yet now, it is slow to the point that large files prevent other files from downloading.

I'm running the latest SD version on different IOS devices (at different IOS levels). Chart data updates fine - but the AIP data is a problem.

Pooleys seemed ok (but then I only had 6MB of updates there and all smallish files).

I appreciate you need to be able to see the problem in order to fix it...... so please try it from home (or somewhere where it's not linked to the SD infrastructure). Thanks !

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Our office isn't linked in any way to our datacentre. All I can say is that this doesn't appear to be a widespread issue, and would encourage you to try it on another network. I will happily try it from home later too.
EGBPdriver
E
If you could that would be great.

We've used cloud services before and our admins prioritised head office network traffic so that other traffic would not interrupt our code updates, etc.

I thought it was just me until yesterday and I had the same problem on another network, which is why I came on the forum and found that others have had the same problem. 
I guess now we're nearly in November, how many members are updating their AIP document caches??

Paul Linzner
P
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

I have the same problem downloading Charts via wlan! It takes hours! I tried it in office and at home. No difference. The download quits sometimes when downloading bigger files. 

About two weeks ago, in an urgent circumstances, I did the download with the mobilenet until my data credits were finished for this month! But it worked fine!!

Paul Linzner

EGBPdriver
E
Paul Linzner - 10/30/2018 4:57:50 PM

I have the same problem downloading Charts via wlan! It takes hours! I tried it in office and at home. No difference. The download quits sometimes when downloading bigger files. 

About two weeks ago, in an urgent circumstances, I did the download with the mobilenet until my data credits were finished for this month! But it worked fine!!

Paul Linzner

My chart download is very quick. I even tried to download some charts I have never downloaded before just to rule out some caching - but it's still quick.

EGBPdriver
E
Tim Dawson - 10/30/2018 11:22:26 AM
Our office isn't linked in any way to our datacentre. All I can say is that this doesn't appear to be a widespread issue, and would encourage you to try it on another network. I will happily try it from home later too.

Tim - I have made some more progress on this.

I have the issue with slow downloads when I select a country and press the 'download' button in the top right corner of the screen. 

You recall I mentioned the 17MB Supplement file 2018-217 in the French AIP that was blocking other downloads? Well I went to the Supplements folder and found that file and downloaded it individually - it took just over a second..... 

I did the same with other large files and they downloaded quickly too.

So whatever it is, seems to be linked to when you use the 'download' button as opposed to downloading individually (but obviously you can't download them all individually - but if there is a file causing a blockage, you can clear it by downloading that one file individually).

Hope this helps !!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search