Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Please fix auto-zoom OFF

Author
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have auto-zoom setting toggled OFF, but every time I get airborne, the zoom changes automatically which I don't want. This surely must be a bug?

An example, departing Luton in a helicopter, I'm on the ground with engine running, I press Go Flying, it changes zoom to what it thinks I need to use, not always correctly. I have to change zoom to fit the airport AIP plate to show the taxiways I want to read or use. Then just before getting airborne, I manually set the zoom to show the VRPs given in my clearance (e.g. Hyde -> M1 Junc 9 -> M1 Junc 8). Then after getting airborne, the zoom automatically changes again forcing me to change the zoom back to show my VRPs.

Auto-zoom is great if thats what you want it to do, but I have it turned off so it shouldn't be changing. If I've manually set a zoom in flight, I want it to remain as selected so I have complete control. This has been one of my long term annoyances for the last couple of years.

Long time iPad user.
Thanks
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I'm afraid that's the way SkyDemon has worked for many, many years. People don't seem to mind. I can't see us changing it unless quite a lot of people suddenly realise they don't like it.
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Off should mean off, in my opinion. 

This applies to auto-zoom and to the "offline when flying" option - I often press "go flying" then a short while later have to cancel the "I can't see SkyDemon's servers" error message because the software says "well, I know you said off, but you're not moving fast so I'm going to ignore you". I then take-off and have to re-zoom the map to show what I set it up to show a few seconds earlier.

Being blunt, it is "we know best" features like these that make me want to ditch SkyDemon.

plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
Tim - I find that a classic and awful excuse, just because it’s always been like that for years, doesn’t make it right. It’s bad design and misleading.

I agree with T67M, OFF means OFF.

At least give us an option to turn it off completely.

If I set an ideal zoom just prior to lifting, it should stay put - but it doesn’t, and becomes a flight safety issue during a busy phase of flight and sometimes in busy airspace.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
T67M, being blunt, it is our attitude to feature development and preserving existing behaviour that make SkyDemon the market leader. You seem to have developed a few problems with it recently despite the behaviour not having changed. Perhaps it's time for you to "ditch SkyDemon" as you threaten? We can't please everybody - our aim is to please the highest number of people.

We don't change things that have worked well for years unless a significant number of people contact us telling us they find them annoying. That would be foolish.

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
I think you miss my point, Tim. All of the navigation packages currently available do the core job reasonably well. Skydemon is, in my opinion, currently the best of these. 

However all of the products also have irritating annoyances - such as we are discussing in this thread. These irritations aren't (individually) big enough for many people to actively complain (although i know that both of these niggles have been discussed previously). In part this is because they're so obviously wrong that most users can't believe you won't fix them eventually without them needing to complain, and in part because each is so small that one by one they can be lived with, but all together they cause irritation. Ultimately, the users won't complain about niggles, they'll just leave. 

These niggles are also the reason I can no longer in good conscience recommend Skydemon to my students - instead I try to give them a balanced view of all the products, warts and all, and let them make their own choice. Some choose Skydemon - and some don't.

Edited 10/11/2018 6:25:24 PM by T67M
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The idea of students blindly purchasing whatever software an instructor tells them to is abhorrent.

You don't get to have your way with SkyDemon's development just because you're an instructor and have some influence over some students. Good grief.

plume_tray
plume_tray
So, is Skydemon going to fix auto-zoom off, or not?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
plume_tray, you're becoming very demanding. I believe I said above that we are happy with the way this currently works.

You could always turn off Follow Position, that might do it, until such time as you want SkyDemon to re-take control over the panning and zooming of your map during flight. That might not work, it's just an idea.

plume_tray
plume_tray
Tim - yes I am demanding. Clearly this is design flaw or bug, and you don’t see it.

So what’s the difference between ON and OFF? By the sounds of it, nothing.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search