Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Please fix auto-zoom OFF

Author
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've been following this thread with interest since I have not experienced the problems with auto zoom that others appear to have had, and consequently I'm having problems understanding the issues raised. As I have said elsewhere in these forums, auto zoom on/off works for me. If I select Auto Zoom Off (tap the north orientation button and de-select auto zoom) it is, indeed, turned off and remains so for the duration of the current and subsequent flights until such time as I re-select it. This is the case whether I'm in flying or simulation mode. This appears NOT to be the case for some other users. Is this correct? Have I missed something?

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Edited 10/26/2018 1:45:20 PM by Sky Painter
plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)
Hi Mike, for me it occurs when I takeoff and the zoom level changes even though auto zoom is toggled off.

It’s annoying because I’ll often manually set a zoom level when taxiing at an airfield, and just prior to takeoff I may set a more suitable zoom level for my departure. As soon as I gain some altitude, the zoom level changes, mostly zooming out meaning some important features are squeezed. It happens on both my iPad mini 2 and 4 so it’s not an isolated case.

Note, I have default zoom set to 750k for planning. But this isn’t always ideal when flying. I’ll check tomorrow when I’m flying next to see if this is what the zoom is changing to or not.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
plume_tray - 10/26/2018 7:17:49 PM
Hi Mike, for me it occurs when I takeoff and the zoom level changes even though auto zoom is toggled off. It’s annoying because I’ll often manually set a zoom level when taxiing at an airfield, and just prior to takeoff I may set a more suitable zoom level for my departure. As soon as I gain some altitude, the zoom level changes, mostly zooming out meaning some important features are squeezed. It happens on both my iPad mini 2 and 4 so it’s not an isolated case. Note, I have default zoom set to 750k for planning. But this isn’t always ideal when flying. I’ll check tomorrow when I’m flying next to see if this is what the zoom is changing to or not.

I note that the one significant difference between you and me is that you are using iOS devices and I am using Android, which makes me wonder whether or not the problems reported are peculiar to iOS.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The thing that's happening to plume_tray which he finds annoying is not the Auto Zoom feature. The latter was developed a year ago and gradually changes your zoom level between 50k and 500k scale as you approach your destination airfield, and as you leave your takeoff airfield, and in most cases it does a great job of making it so the user doesn't have to keep changing zoom scales.

A more crude feature present in SkyDemon for many many years is that as you take off, if your zoom level is still set to showing airfield features, we will zoom you out to an enroute scale. Ditto when you land, if you're still at an enroute scale and we have interesting airfield features to show, we zoom you right in. Although this could certainly be described as automatic zooming, it isn't part of the Auto Zoom feature.

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Confusing, at least to me.

Automatic zooming, auto zoom .... 🤔
Khaz
K
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
Of course, there is a technical explanation for why deactivating the autozoom setting does not currently prevent all automatic zoom operations, but I also find it very inconvenient that you cannot simply deactivate any automatic intervention in the zoom level. I would like to be able to rely on the system not fiddling with the zoom when I don't want it to.

A little more configuration options would be nice here, since the zoom level has essential effects on the operation and the clarity of the map.

Moreover, an additional on/off switch does not annoy users who are satisfied with the current setting. It just leaves an additional choice.

Bealeyman
Bealeyman
Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)
I am fed up with Auto zoom over riding the auto zoom off feature, please don’t make out there is a reason for this I want auto zoom to be off when I select off please.
Bealeyman
Bealeyman
Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)
I see your reply did not get any likes.
Bealeyman
Bealeyman
I see Tim did not get any likes to his reply.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search