Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Engine log and pilot aware

Author
K
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was delighted to see the new easy access to engine logging but came across a problem trying to use it. (SD 3.10.4.132, Latest PAW wired to avionics bus via anker adapter).
Press  'go flying' to bring up the screen with the new button; select use pilot aware as GPS, start the engine log, press the starter and start the engine, the starter current interferes with the PAW power supply and forces a PAW reset, SkyDemon senses the loss of data from PAW and stops the log! It takes a few minutes to reconnect so the engine log time will always be a few minutes short!
I tried starting the engine before pressing 'go flying' on SD but the PAW unit takes a few minutes to become available and selectable as GPS source, so again some minutes out.
Anyone know of another approach or work around? Pen and kneeboard not accepted, done that for years :-)

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
KenEfox - 9/26/2018 4:16:33 PM
I was delighted to see the new easy access to engine logging but came across a problem trying to use it. (SD 3.10.4.132, Latest PAW wired to avionics bus via anker adapter).
Press  'go flying' to bring up the screen with the new button; select use pilot aware as GPS, start the engine log, press the starter and start the engine, the starter current interferes with the PAW power supply and forces a PAW reset, SkyDemon senses the loss of data from PAW and stops the log! It takes a few minutes to reconnect so the engine log time will always be a few minutes short!
I tried starting the engine before pressing 'go flying' on SD but the PAW unit takes a few minutes to become available and selectable as GPS source, so again some minutes out.
Anyone know of another approach or work around? Pen and kneeboard not accepted, done that for years :-)

I have same problem. I think solution is to allow 'start engine log' when route entered but before 'go flying'. This would seem the logical sequence of events anyway?

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
SemperFi - 9/29/2018 10:51:00 AM
I don't think you should blame Skydemon on your flying device design flaw ... My advice would be to sort out the bad behavior of your electrical circuits.

Hmm. Not sure if your post is in reply to mine or KenEfox's. Regardless, it's not helpful and especially so without knowledge of our particular 'electrical circuits'.  To clarify, nobody was blaming Skydemon- quite the opposite. Skydemon is a superb product and is continually updated with innovative ideas such as this. Sometimes, though, features can be improved upon, in the light of field experience, in order to help the wider user community. Skydemon certainly recognise this and actively promote such feedback.
Regards the particular issue, there is no inherent 'flying device design flaw' with any of the individual products. It's just that, when integrated, some issues can arise and, in light of these, suggestions made as to how these issues could be alleviated and thereby, strengthened in order to further enhance what is already a fantastic product.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
This is a tricky one. When connecting to devices like PilotAware, SkyDemon is designed to detect a dropped connection and eventually switch you out of navigation mode. That system appears to work well; I'm not sure it would be helpful (overall) if we were to tolerate a complete connection loss for X amount of time. How long would we need to tolerate it for, in order to cope with the rebooting of your chosen device?
Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Tim Dawson - 10/1/2018 11:00:24 AM
This is a tricky one. When connecting to devices like PilotAware, SkyDemon is designed to detect a dropped connection and eventually switch you out of navigation mode. That system appears to work well; I'm not sure it would be helpful (overall) if we were to tolerate a complete connection loss for X amount of time. How long would we need to tolerate it for, in order to cope with the rebooting of your chosen device?

Thanks Tim,
Actually, I wasn't suggesting this, I was advocating the option to log 'engine start' be presented before 'go flying'. This would resolve the issue and preserve your dropped connection protocol.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
Unfortunately the entire logging functionality is tied to your being in the navigation state, which is tied to having a connection to a source of navigation data.
Unblonde
U
Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)
When connecting to devices like PilotAware, SkyDemon is designed to detect a dropped connection and eventually switch you out of navigation mode.

Can I just confirm something? Is there a way to override this so that for an Ipad with built in GPS, dropping the Pilotaware wifi wouldn't stop nav?

I consider nav to be a primary value, with traffic a secondary, so am now worried that I've just bought something that could remove nav at an inopportune moment.

Thanks

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
With a correctly installed power supply, PilotAware should not shut down during engine start - it certainly doesn't on my wired-in unit. Pilot Aware is very (perhaps overly) sensitive to its power supply voltage, so if it's resetting during engine-start, it may well be marginal at other times too, and this has been shown to cause other problems.

I do agree with Tim that if PilotAware shuts down when it is providing the data feed, there's very little that SkyDemon can do. That said, rather than dropping back to planning mode, maybe switching across to an in-built GPS (if there is one) might be a better option? Whether SkyDemon should automatically reconnect to the PilotAware if it returns is an interesting discussion.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The PilotAware is your position source as well as traffic source.

SkyDemon wasn't architected to "fall back" from one supply of position/traffic/weather data to another if the first one goes down. To rearchitect it to do so now would be non-trivial, probably create issues which would then need resolving, and it seems would only solve a problem caused by problems in one particular device anyway.

nkt2000
nkt2000
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
I was always taught to start the engine before switching on the avionics master switch in order to reduce the possibility of power spikes damaging the avionics.  I appreciate that not all aircraft have an avionics master but, in that case (such as a PA 28 I have been flying recently) leave the individual avionics kit switched off until engine is running.  I guess this is a similar issue that would be resolved by following this advice.   
I don't have this problem as I power my PAW from a Anker power source.

Edited 10/2/2018 12:15:00 PM by nkt2000
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search