SkyDemon Forums

Engine log and pilot aware

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic27010.aspx

By KenEfox - 9/26/2018 4:16:33 PM

I was delighted to see the new easy access to engine logging but came across a problem trying to use it. (SD 3.10.4.132, Latest PAW wired to avionics bus via anker adapter).
Press  'go flying' to bring up the screen with the new button; select use pilot aware as GPS, start the engine log, press the starter and start the engine, the starter current interferes with the PAW power supply and forces a PAW reset, SkyDemon senses the loss of data from PAW and stops the log! It takes a few minutes to reconnect so the engine log time will always be a few minutes short!
I tried starting the engine before pressing 'go flying' on SD but the PAW unit takes a few minutes to become available and selectable as GPS source, so again some minutes out.
Anyone know of another approach or work around? Pen and kneeboard not accepted, done that for years :-)
By KenEfox - 10/4/2018 1:31:43 PM

Thanks for all the info on this subject, I now understand the issues much better. I'll investigate the voltage drop at PAW on cranking in my machine and take it from there. I can of course continue with manual recording using the hobbs.
For those who may have a concern with respect to PAW dropping during navigation, I think you could just press "Go Flying" again and select the internal GPS and your back running.
Skydemon and PAW are both brilliant products for the leisure pilot, small hiccups like engine logging are insignificant compared to the benefits these products bring us!