Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

New Zealand VFR charts

Author
roadrunner79
Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all at the forum,

I signend up for Sky Demon a few days ago and try to find my way through it right now. So it might be that I just did not found what I am looking for.
Thats why I am going to ask the allmighty forum :-)

I am going to do a 3 week new zealand VFR trip in 01/2016. Because of many good reviews and reports I decidet to go for skydemon instead of any other nav sw.
After downloading I tried to get used to the VFR charts, but dont do realy well with it.
Paperwise I am used to the german Jeppeson and ICAO charts  with all the roads, forests, railroads, churches...digital to Flightplanner with the same content.
Right now I cant find these informations/content on the skydemon maps. I already downloaded the high resolution map, changed between map styles and even had a glass or 2 of redwine...nothing made the roads appear.

Than I tried to gather airport informations (departure/arrival charts, frequencies like you get it in the AIP) by clicking on the airport. I cant get these informations either. At flight planner I just right click on the airport and than all the informations can be seen. Is there a way to gather these infos directly from the program without jumping to the AIP?

Does anyone have an idea what I do wrong??? I am thankfull for every hint

Greetz, Alex

Edited 8/23/2015 1:30:31 PM by roadrunner79
InfrequentFlyer
InfrequentFlyer
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
I'm not quite sure what your question is.

Do you mean you can't find "all the roads, forests, railroads, churches"? 

Have you checked all the relevant options check-boxes to show features?  E.g. Terrain, Geographical Names, Urban Areas, Trees, Roads, Railways, Road Names, Rivers, MEF, Points of Interest, NOTAMs, various airspace classifications...

You didn't specify which platform you are using (PC, Android etc), but on a PC look for Mapping -> Surface Features, Mapping -> Airspace etc.  On Android (and I think ios) it's Mapping -> Map Layers.

Edited 8/23/2015 6:07:29 PM by InfrequentFlyer
roadrunner79
roadrunner79
Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)Too Much Forum (454 reputation)
Hi there,

thanks for the answer. I did not mark one of the show feature boxe. The problem with the roads and railways is solved. But I am still trying to find New Zealand departure/arrival charts in the programm.

Is there a chance to view them directly out of the program? That I can zoom in at departure and Skydemon shows me the proper way out of the airport. Right now I get them from the AIP New Zealand.

Thanks, Alex

InfrequentFlyer
InfrequentFlyer
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
I guess Tim Dawson would have to answer that.  I've not used SD outside the UK.

DirDej
DirDej
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
If you plan a flight from A to B, the maps should become downloadable in the Plates tab on the right hand side of the mobile (iPad or Android) screen. If they are shown in green, they will be available off-line (with no Wifi connection). You may have to go to the Plates tab, Tools menu and enable Aerodrome Charts and VFR or IFR charts as desired.

It may help to read the manual too, Skydemon is a very deep program with many options. After 2.5 years of using it and teaching it to many others, I still find new ways to use it;
Edited 8/24/2015 5:01:53 AM by DirDej
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Sorry, we do not have airfield plates outside of Europe.
roadrunner79
roadrunner79
Hi all,

thanks for the answers. So I have to download the charts directly from the NZ AIP. As it looks I cant even download the AIP out of the app.
If I click download AIP under tools there is no content shown, neither a way to download it.

Greetings, Alex

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
To be clear, SkyDemon is developed for the European market. We license AIPs for that market. We have not licensed AIPs for the New Zealand market.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
Tim Dawson (8/25/2015)
To be clear, SkyDemon is developed for the European market. We license AIPs for that market. We have not licensed AIPs for the New Zealand market.

My heart beats faster whenever I read this. Finally there's something good coming to us first, rather than always drooling at what the US pilots all get (and mostly for free!).

Thanks Tim, -- Chris.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search