Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Georeferenced Plates on Android

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ah. That's a prototype from back when we investigated the possibility of georeferencing IFR plates. Enjoy them while you can, but we currently have no plans to georeference IFR approach plates which would be a HUGE amount of work for us to do when only a tiny percentage of our subscribers would benefit.

The answer to your question, I believe, is that IFR plates are not candidates for automatic loading.
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
Shame, but thanks for the info. Sad
mickelb
mickelb
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
This Beta works fine on a HiSense Sero8. Just one cosmetic bug, when you stop naviagting  and return to route planning screen the virtual radar section below the chart is just black.

Please do keep the geo-referencing feature - and put some pressure on AFE to bring their plates up to date!

An annoyance, which your support people seem to have stopped replying to me about despite me checking with Google as requested and proving it is a developer issue, is that the Play Store installer settings include a GPS feature that my tablet doesn't have so Google shows it as non compatible with my device. Clearly it isn't a required feature as the Beta works on the tablet with an external GPS receiver and mock locations enbled. Hopefuilly when 3.1 is released this will be resolved.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We require no more permissions than are absolutely necessary:

Internet
WriteExternalStorage
AccessFineLocation
AccessCoarseLocation
AccessNetworkState

To my knowledge, it is these and only these which the Play Store uses to determine whether an app is compatible with your device. I am happy to be corrected with a specific setting that I'm not aware of, but you really will need to be specific. Perhaps you could share your response from Google with us?

mickelb
mickelb
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
I already did give Google's response to Hannah, who said I needed to contact Google as it was my problem.

"According to our records, the app you're referring to is not compatible with your device because your device is missing a GPS feature and so it won't be advertised to you in Google Play.

App compatibility is determined by individual app developers, not by Google Play, so I'm afraid I can't help further - I can't change the requirements this developer has set for their app.

That being said, I'd recommend contacting the app developer directly to see if they plan to expand compatibility in the future or if they have other options for your device. "

As the Beta direct download works fine there would appear to be no reason for the "GPS feature" Google say is the issue.

Hope this helps.

If the settings can't be changed how about having a permanent download page in the Customer area of SkyDemon?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I suspect there is not a resolution to this issue for you. There is no setting that we set to tell Play Store which devices SkyDemon will run on. There is no such thing as installers for Android apps. All there is, is a list of permissions we have to ask for including the GPS permission otherwise SkyDemon wouldn't be able to receive location data (which is obviously critical). I suspect that the Play Store sees this permission and decides that devices which don't have GPS shouldn't be shown apps that require GPS permissions. It's an imperfect system and not one we're able to do anything about.

I have sympathy with the idea of also hosting the latest version on our website, that might be something we can implement later this year. If it helps, the forthcoming 3.1 release will barely have changed between the current beta and release. That's the nature of a beta system.

mickelb
mickelb
Thanks for getting back, also Hannah replied soon after I posted with the same message. Hopefully you can host the current version file on your website at some point.

I will also get back to Google as they aren't being consistent if waht you say is correct. I have another tablet without built in GPS and Play Store makes Skydemon available to that device.

Europa XS
Europa XS
Dear Tim,
only to bring back my problem to the top.
I tried the new beta some minutes ago but my problem with no rendering of the Austrian AIP plates on a NEXUS 2013 still exists. Are there any ideas and a timeschedule to find a solution?

kr

Herbert

rg
rg
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)
Just tested this on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1.  Very nice...initial rendering of the plate a little slow.  Pans a zooms OK but then the re-rending of the plate when zoomed in a little slow.  Certainly not enough to spoil the use of this great feature though.

Europa XS
Europa XS
Hi Tim,
because I was not able to test the function of the actual beta for georeferenced plates from the Austrian AIP (see my e-mails before), one simple question for my clarification. Some months ago I purchased the jeppersen chart collection for all airports in Austria (all plates are in pdf format). Is there a possibility to use them as georeferenced plates. If yes, where must these plates be stored and when no, is there a possibility to convert them beeing georeferenced?
Thanks in advance

Herbert

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search