Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Using iPad SkyDemon Navigation with FSX

Author
Winfried Schuengel
Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi George,
thank you for the quick response.
But I have checked all this.
I think the failure is the missing communication between FSX and FSX2skydemon and not between FSX2skydemon and the Ipad.
Its a big questionmark for me.
George Reid
George Reid
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
Tornado315 - 3/10/2018 11:59:37 AM
Hi George,thank you for the quick response.But I have checked all this. I think the failure is the missing communication between FSX and FSX2skydemon and not between FSX2skydemon and the Ipad. Its a big questionmark for me.

Attached is a screenshot of my setup.  FSX running on PC under windows10.  Green FSX Status light in FSX2Skydemon is on.  Data and TX lights flash Green every few seconds all showing that FSX and FSX2Skydemon are correctly talking to each other and that FASX2Skydemon is broadcasting to my Ipad

George E A Reid

Ipad Mini 5,  IOS 14.4,  SD 3.15.0.288
PC(Win 10, Version 19041.804)  SD 3.15.0.0

Winfried Schuengel
Winfried Schuengel
Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)
Today I tried a "wired" connection between FSX on the desktop and Skydemon on the laptop.
In the FSUIPC menue I checked GPSout via Com1 and this setup worked fine.
So I´m sure that FSX communicates with FSUIPC.
But on the other hand‌, fsx2skydemon isn't working.
So, for the time being I can use the "wired " setup.

RobertL
RobertL
Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)
I was going to install FSX2SkyDemon but really couldn't find it with a Google search.  The 2 links in this thread also gave me no confidence that I would be installing the latest version.  Also, I was concerned about the trouble some users have had, again detailed in this thread. I really didn't want to spend my time troubleshooting, which has been my experience so far with flight sims.  I just wanted to fly.

So instead I went for the free ‌Flight1 ForeFlight plug-in referred to earlier in this thread as working with SD. Had no trouble finding it and no trouble installing it. Came with clear instructions which gave me some confidence.

A‌nd bingo!  Worked first time.  Loaded up my usual aircraft and airfield in FSX and immediately SD came on line with me positioned on the runway.‌  Took off and flew around.  It was amazing to see SD working flawlessly on my iPad, just as in my real world aircraft!

M‌y setup:
W‌indows 10 64
F‌SX Steam‌
i‌Pad mini running SD - set SD to 'X-Plane' mode (Go Flying -> Connect to X-Plane)

T‌he advantage of the ForeFlight plug-in against what I've read about fsx2skydemon is that there's no additional user intervention.  That is, you don't have to start the program separately to FSX.  And you don't have to tell it the IP address of your iPad.  Just make sure that your computer and the iPad are on the same network.  It just loads when you run FSX.  (They say it also works in P3D).

S‌kyDemon is a great program which I've used in the air for many years.  It's evolved into quite a feature rich program but I don't think the air is the best place to learn all its possibilities.  OK, it's got a simulator mode, but running alongside a flight sim package can't be beaten.  On this basis I do wonder why SD has never seen the point of developing their ‌own branded plug-in, if only as a teaching tool.  For me it's a no brainer.

I‌ hope that others trying to get SD to run with their flight sim will find this useful.‌
RobertL
RobertL
Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)
Forget my previous post...

W‌hen I came back to FSX a few days ago it wouldn't load.  I had to disable the ForeFlight plug-in. So knock that one on the head.

I‌ took a look at FSXFlight that's mentioned in page 3 of this thread.  It's payware but with a money back guarantee.  Bought it, installed it (after installing FSUIPC first).

W‌orked first time.  But so did the other one.

R‌ebooted computer several times and on each occasion it worked.  So I am now hopeful that this will be a more robust solution for FSX-SD cooperation.  Happy to pay for something that works with no trouble.

B‌ut the best thing was finding FSUIPC and finding out what it can do.‌
‌‌‌‌
H‌‌owever, my point about SD having their own branded plug-in still stands....
Edited 4/2/2018 11:10:10 PM by RobertL
emporer
e
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Does anyone have experience to connect SD to Microsoft Fight Simulator running in Windows 10 ?
I‌s it possible or does  it only work with SFX?

lars667
l
Too Much Forum (178 reputation)Too Much Forum (178 reputation)Too Much Forum (178 reputation)Too Much Forum (178 reputation)Too Much Forum (178 reputation)Too Much Forum (178 reputation)Too Much Forum (178 reputation)Too Much Forum (178 reputation)Too Much Forum (178 reputation)
emporer - 4/4/2018 1:32:20 PM
Does anyone have experience to connect SD to Microsoft Fight Simulator running in Windows 10 ?
I‌s it possible or does  it only work with SFX?

I just got it set up in two minutes on Windows 10 P3D 4.2. Just installed it, set ip address for the ipad and "Go flying" after having launched P3D. Haven't tried it in FSX SE yet. Do you mean you have an older version than FSX? Seems like most people are running this on FSX just fine here.

hhflyer
h
Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)
I got this set up pretty straightforwardly today with FSX SE running on a PC and sky demon on a windows laptop (both running Windows 10). In case this is useful for others and to save reading back through the whole thread...

Steps which worked for me:

Plain installation of FSX SE on PC. I have some add ons (e.g. ASWeather) which use the MS sim connect which came with, but no special other software installled (specifically no FSUIPC).

Download fsx2skydemon (see below for link)

Install fsx2skydemon and fire it up. Set the IP address of my laptop in settings. Quit and restart.

Fire up FSX and start free flight.

At this point in fsx2skydemon I see the solid, green FSX light and flashing data and tx light, and my position is shown on the included map.

Fire up Skydemon on my laptop, go flying, select “Connect to X-Plane”.

Now my position is shown and updated in Skydemon. Everything looks good.

I haven’t tried on iPad yet.

Link for download : https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AHrS2FtIdbDIlZw&cid=062A857FB93775AA&id=62A857FB93775AA%2130579&parId=62A857FB93775AA%219508&action=locate

mklein
m
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Hi,

I use the XMAPSY tool for interfacing with the FSX or P3D.
Works well and there is also a demo version of it (xmapsy.com).
greetings

Marco

RobertPBham
RobertPBham
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
If it helps, I did the setup of FSX:SE to SkyDemon last year - I tried quite a few of the ‘free’ tools and found FSX unstable - even with complete uninstalls and reinstall.

I had originally purchased Mindstars GNS 430 for use within A2A’s 180 and noticed Mindstar did a plug-in for external devices - it’s payware but been absolutely flawless and just works!

http://www.mindstaraviation.com/Product_GPSVR.html

It states it’s for Foreflight, but works brilliantly. That’s on Windows 10 v1803 and originally v1709!

Thanks
Rob
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search