Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Using iPad SkyDemon Navigation with FSX

Author
G-OIBM
Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
During the winter (and summer ??!!!!) where the weather is too bad to fly, I like to keep up my IMC skills by flying various routes and instrument approaches using FSX.

I can, currently, plug in my back-up Garmin 496 into FSX and the route and moving map comes up on the 496 whilst in sumulator mode.

Wouldn't it be a great tool if we could use the iPad SkyDemon plugged into FSX and allow hands on simulation via FSX?

Has anyone managed to achieve this FSX link?

Don't know weather to post here on in the sugesstins forum.

P.S - I am the worlds most un-educated person with respect to software, cables, patches and plug-ins (although I know the language), so a really easy fix (aka the garmin solution) would be great.

Thanks

Hugh

Regards

Hugh

G-OIBM

Commander 114
Rob-PA7RM
Rob-PA7RM
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
i have the SkyDemon software also on a second PC. With Fsuipc and GPSout i can see my FSX plane on the map of SkyDemon. I love it.
But the iPad version/option would also be perfect. Will follow this topic.

Greetings
R.M. de Vries
www.pa7rm.nl
G-OIBM
G-OIBM
Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.5K reputation)
Hi Rob,

I have Sky Demon on my laptop also. Bearing in mind that I know nothing about the various patches and software you mention, how easy is it to get my laptop version of Sky Demon showing my route being flown in FSX?

Still agree though, that an iPad connection to FSX would be best.

Hugh

Regards

Hugh

G-OIBM

Commander 114
Rob-PA7RM
Rob-PA7RM
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
Have you installed FSUIPC ? there is a GPSout option. It can be done via a RS232 cable or via the network.
Later on i will have a better look how i installed it.

Rob

Greetings
R.M. de Vries
www.pa7rm.nl
G-OIBM
G-OIBM
Yep, I have installed FSUIPC and use it to drive my Garmin 496 with the GPSout option, but not too sure how to get FSX to drive the laptop Skydemon.

Hugh

Regards

Hugh

G-OIBM

Commander 114
Nosoup4you
Nosoup4you
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Just to say I got this working, although it was by trial and error and I possibly paid over the odds to do it (worth every penny though, Full blood FSX with Skydemon is just amazing*).

I needed:
FSUIPC (25 quid odd)
WideFS (25 quid too and I'm not sure I actually needed this, but I was pulling my hair out till I brought it then everything seemed to just start working)
VSPE (Free edition)

Once these were installed,

- In FSX Add-ON menu set FSUIPC as per the attachment - (Use GPSout setting in short)

- Add the following to the WideFS WideClient.ini file:

[GPSout]
Port=COM11
Speed=9600

- Use VSPE 'pair' option from COM11 > COM12

- SkyDemon then sees the FSX GPS output on COM12.

Something like that worked for me anyway!

Ian

* I have all the FSX trimmings, at least for my low hour PPL level I find it an invaluable training aid for both VFR and more recently IMC training.
Attachments
fsuipc.jpg (2K views, 47.00 KB)
Nosoup4you
Nosoup4you
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Just to add, I'm using a separate monitor on the same machine with Skydemon for Windows. Connecting the Ipad version would be double amazing, but I think that would take work from Skydemon as you'd need a setting to get the GPS input from FSUIPC via the local network (I guess that's what WideFS does).

Ian
kennet.stenberg
kennet.stenberg
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I'm using skydemon pc app on a portable via gpsout together with Prepar3D and it is working very nicely, but.... I would like to be able to use my iPad.
Would also like to be able to read flightplans from Skydemon either by import or yet better directly.

Kennet
Edited 1/8/2013 1:42:46 PM by kennet.stenberg
G-OIBM
G-OIBM
Ian,

Are you running fsx on a desktop and skydemon on your laptop connected via a cable (if so what type of cable), or are you ruinning fsx and skydemon on the same machine but using a second monitor for skydemon?

Hugh

Regards

Hugh

G-OIBM

Commander 114
Nosoup4you
Nosoup4you
Just on the same machine using a second monitor Hugh (I use a 42inch HD telly for FSX itself).

The windows version of Skydemon is a little limited I guess, but it's still a great tool. Finding a way to use the SkyDemon Ipad version would be truly superb...

Ian
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search