Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Using iPad SkyDemon Navigation with FSX

Author
Bumelbee
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you for your advice. It really is strange, I can ping the iPad it without problems and the IP address are correct. The firewalls are offand I am using the newest version of fsx2skydemon. I am located in Germany. The last option would be to completely remove Norton Internet security and check if it works. Maybe it has something to do with opening the ports. But honestly that seems to be too complicated for me, I guess you would have to IT expert for that.
col-lucy
col-lucy
Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)
Yes, strange.
I know somebody in Germany is using the latest version of Fsx2Skydemon (1.2.1) without problem. He actually alerted me to the European number format issue which I corrected. Can I ask you to check your settings again as per page 8 of the help file. Especially ensure that Sockforward is checked, OutAddr is set to the same IP address as the iPad you pinged and UpdateThreshold is set to 0.

I am sure this is nothing to do with Skydemon itself (I have found it to be very robust). I am away this weekend, and will take a look for problems when I return.

Sorry you are having problems.

Colin

TheDaniel
TheDaniel
Too Much Forum (305 reputation)Too Much Forum (305 reputation)Too Much Forum (305 reputation)Too Much Forum (305 reputation)Too Much Forum (305 reputation)Too Much Forum (305 reputation)Too Much Forum (305 reputation)Too Much Forum (305 reputation)Too Much Forum (305 reputation)
This topic is a bit stale by now, and have not done a comprehensive forum search to avoid redundancy, so forgive me if this is old news: I finally found a way to get SkyDemon connected to FSX GPS requiring no additional software other than FSUIPC - no virtual port emulation, no GPSgate (this is for Android systems though, I don't bother with Apple).
 (courtesy of BaobobMiller of the simflight.com forums: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/75481-sending-gps-data-to-android-apps-bluetooth/ ) - I'm quoting him: 

------------------ 8< --------------------------------------- 8< -------------------

GPSOut… over bluetooth Windows 7 64 bit

Perhaps I’m just way behind in the common knowledge department, but I recently went looking for “the way” to send my FSX gps data to my Android tablet over Bluetooth so that I could use the full functionality of apps like Garmin pilot, FltPlan.com, and others and was surprised at the number of posts making reference to the fact that it could be done but lacking in the information about how to actually do it. So I am posting this as an example for anyone who is in the same situation I found myself in. 

I’m not going to wordy by getting into things like how to install a Bluetooth adapter and how to pair your tablet with the PC. If anyone has questions about thinks like that that they cannot find answers to on Google, feel free to shoot me an email or a PM and I’ll do my best to help out.

Let’s assume that you already have your tablet paired with the computer and start there…

PC Portion:

1. Open “Bluetooth Settings” (Right click on the Bluetooth icon in your system tray and choose “Open Settings”
  2. Click on the “COM Ports” tab and if there are no incoming com ports listed, click add.
  3. Make sure that “Incoming” is chosen (there are only two choices) and click ok.
  4. Make note of the incoming COM port number that has been added to the list. (COM3 for example) and click “OK”
  5. Run FSX, start a flight,  and open the FSUIPC interface (AutoSave and GPSout tab) and Enable GPSout
  6. Choose the COM port you made a note of from the drop down list (but do not check the box for “Send data via WideFS” as this is an either of function and we want the data sent via the COM port)
  7. Leave the port speed and interval timing alone for now (you will change it ONLY if you need to later)
  8. For testing purposes check all of the boxes at the bottom of the section and click ok (RMA, RMC ,VTG, etc. After you know which ones are needed by the app you want to use on the tablet you will disable the ones that are not needed)

Tablet Portion:

1. Enable “Allow Mock Locations” in the “Developer” section if the settings menu
  2. Install “Bluetooth GPS” on tablet (there are others that I have tested as well but it works and it’s free… for now at least)
  3. Open Bluetooth GPS and tell it to connect to your PC. (there is a drop down list of paired devices at the top.
  4. As long as you left your FSX flight running you should see GPS data in the boxes on the main screen of Bluetooth GPS.
  5. If the connection fails before going back through all the settings you just made try the alternative connection method in the “Bluetooth GPS” settings.
  6. Leave Bluetooth GPS running and open whatever app you want to use (FltPlan.com for example) and Bluetooth GPS will continue to feed the GPS data from your FSX to the tablet tricking most applications into thinking it’s a “real” gps connected via bluetooth.

Don’t forget to research which sentences (RMA, RMC, etc. you actually need and disable the rest)

Continue fiddling and tweaking in general until you get what you are after.

Note: Many people, myself included, have trouble with windows randomly assigning a different COM port to the Bluetooth every time windows is restarted. I have not looked for a way to “reserve” a COM port yet and knowing Microsoft… there may not be one. If anyone does know of a work around please let me know and I’ll edit it into this post.

May your Sim flights be plagued with bad weather, damaged landing gear, low oil pressure, and engine failure… and may your real flights endure none of the like.

Bao

Edited 5/26/2015 3:27:09 PM by TheDaniel
Martin Christoph
Martin Christoph
Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)
Folks, can anybody help me?
Just installed fsx2skydemon from last link.
Once FSX starts fsx2skydemon shows green which means it's connected to FSX however later on while flying ther's no data transmited from FSX to fsx2skydemon (no position in right top corner, no airplane on the chart, data button is not flashing)  hence can't even try to connect it to SD on mini IPad (waiting for location is permanent).
Few times checked and all settings of fsx2skydemon are "as per book".
Anybody knows what problem may I experience? Any settings in FSX? Should I install something else besides fsx2skydemon?
I'd appreciate an assistance since it seems very usefule for training.
All the best

cuevision
cuevision
Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)
UNBELIEVABLE!!

All Credits to Collin, with his great, free and working program. It took me about 5 minutes to get it work. All other programs I tried were difficult to setup and never worked.

- I use P3D version 3.2,
- I use SkyDemon on my iPad (paid version)

Download his latest version:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=62A857FB93775AA!30579&authkey=!AHrS2FtIdbDIlZw&ithint=file%2czip

- Setup software, 1 minute
- In Settings of the program from Collin, I filled in the IP of my iPad
- Told SkyDemon on my iPad to work with X-plane -> Setup/Connectivity Options/XPlane
- On the right upper corner of SD on my iPad -> Go Flying/Use Xplane
- My plane is visible on EHRD, F2

Thats it. Collin keep on the good job.

Regards,
Ed
Vincent BAZILLIO
Vincent BAZILLIO
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
I know this thread is inactive for months, but a new plugin for FSx and Prepar3D is available from Flight1 software : http://www.flight1tech.com/Products/SimulationUtilities/ForeFlightPlug-in.aspx

I‌t's free, just need a email to registered. It's a plug-in, so no need to launch something in parallel of FSx/P3D. No need to enter IP adress or anything else according that the plugin broadcast information on your Wi-Fi network. Just need to install and connect your iPad Skydemon and FSx/P3D on the same Wi-Fi network.‌

Vincent B.
(St-Cyr/LFPZ, Toussus/LFPN, San Diego/KMYF)
Check my blog : http://20-100-video.blogspot.com

Renzo
R
Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)
cuevision - 4/23/2016 10:59:03 AM
UNBELIEVABLE!!

All Credits to Collin, with his great, free and working program. It took me about 5 minutes to get it work. All other programs I tried were difficult to setup and never worked.

- I use P3D version 3.2,
- I use SkyDemon on my iPad (paid version)

Download his latest version:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=62A857FB93775AA!30579&authkey=!AHrS2FtIdbDIlZw&ithint=file%2czip

- Setup software, 1 minute
- In Settings of the program from Collin, I filled in the IP of my iPad
- Told SkyDemon on my iPad to work with X-plane -> Setup/Connectivity Options/XPlane
- On the right upper corner of SD on my iPad -> Go Flying/Use Xplane
- My plane is visible on EHRD, F2

Thats it. Collin keep on the good job.

Regards,
Ed

Hi everybody,

first of all I´d like to pay maximum respect to Colin´s work providing the free FSX2SkyDemon Software!!  Wow, what a joy to work with!
Since about one week I use SkyDemon on my iPad for real flight navigation and "by accident" ‌‌‌I fell into this thread "connecting FSX to iPad"  - I never thought about this before! So I thought: try it!

Working through this thread I found Colin´s Software, cuevisions ‌‌post which gave me trust
‌a) to install and
‌b) to try this connection between FSX and SD.

‌‌From the first second on it worked like a charm!!! Love it! It gives the chance to explore the behavior of Sky Demon under "real" flight conditions and it gives the possibility to fine-tune the settings for warnings and so on in Skydemon.

What a great idea! What a fine, shiny piece of software Colin made and of course tnx to the sky demon team to provide the interface.
Thanks‌ to Colin for "acting instead of chattering" and everybody here who helped and spent time developing the interface FSX2SD

kind regards,
Renzo

Renzo
R
Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)
col-lucy - 2/24/2015 12:39:32 AM
Hi everybody,
Sorry, I've been off the radar for a while. I had no idea people were using Fsx2Skydemon!
I have posted a new version to my OneDrive at
This version corrects the problem that European users have been experiencing with European number formats, and does away with the need to change your computer's regional settings to get it to work.
I have also updated the documentation to try to help users that have had trouble connecting to Skydemon
Thanks to Wolfram & Johan for their feedback.

All the best

Colin

Hi Colin,

first of all I´d like to pay maximum respect to your work providing your free (!) FSX2SkyDemon Software!!  Wow, what a joy to work with!
Since about one week I use SkyDemon on my iPad for real flight navigation. I tried several things while airborne to refine settings on SD. With your fine piece of software it ist possible to do this at home with FSX.

‌"by accident" ‌‌‌I fell into this thread "connecting FSX to iPad"  - I never thought about this before! So I thought: try it!

Working through this thread I found your software, cuevisions ‌‌post (later on) gave me trust
‌a) to install and
‌b) to try this connection between FSX and SD.

‌‌From the first second on it worked like a charm!!! Love it! It gives the chance to explore the behavior of Sky Demon under "real" flight conditions and it gives the possibility to fine-tune the settings for warnings and so on in Skydemon.

What a great idea! What a fine, shiny piece of software Colin made and of course tnx to the sky demon team to provide the interface.
Thanks‌ Colin for "acting instead of chattering" and everybody here who helped and spent time developing the interface FSX2SD

kind regards,
Renzo

PS: ASUS laptop, WIN 8.1, FSX
PSS: I don´t know where you´re from but if you show up to my area (south germany) drop me a line and we go flying - if you like!

Duncan Mills
D
Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)
col-lucy - 5/26/2014 1:35:24 AM
Hi all,

I put an installer for a small program (Fsx2Skydemon) that receives data from FSX, and forwards it to SkyDemon using the x-plane protocol (supported by newer versions of Skydemon).

The link is here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=62A857FB93775AA!9796&authkey=!ADlwSTS_uOYVfQs&ithint=file%2c.zip

Install it on the same PC as your FSX, and run it when you start FSX

Configure Fsx2Skydemon with the IP address of your iPad or Android tablet.

Start Skydemon on your tablet and set it to use x-plane input.

There is a little help document to assist with setup.

Colin

Hi mate, i used your link before and it worked fine however i have recently lost the files and am trying to replace them, would you be able to re-upload the files to a new link as this one has expired???

Please.

Duncan.

Winfried Schuengel
Winfried Schuengel
Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)
Hello, Pilots and Programmers

I tried to install the ‌FSX2SkyDemon Software (latest version).
 All is configured as described in the helpfile.

The green connection dot on the FSX2SkyDemon monitor is active, but there is no Data or Tx flashing.

Of course, the sim aircraft is moving.
As I can see, Martin Christoph has the same problem.

I hope, anybody has an idea.

I use Win 7, .Net Framework 4 or higher is installed
I have FS‌X running

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search