Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon on Linux

Author
gfry
Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation

So far working on:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32bit Desktop

Linux Mint 12 32 bit.

Linux Mint 12 64 bit.

1) Install winetricks

2) Run the following command from a terminalsession

Winecfg

When Wine Configuration pops up, click OK

3) Run the following command from a terminalsession

wget http://winetricks.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/winetricks

4) Run the following command from a terminalsession

bash winetricks dotnet30sp1

This will popup a Mozilla session and ask youto download dontnet 2.0

5) After downloading dotnet 2.0, run the followingcommands from a terminal session

Cd Downloads

Cp dotnetfx.exe /home/xxxx/.cache/winetricks/dotnet20

6) Run the following command from a terminalsession

This will start the dotnet2.0 installtion. Follow the installation prompts. Once the dotnet2.0 installation completesclick Finish

7) Run the following command from a terminalsession

wgethttp://winetricks.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/winetricks

8) Run the following command from a terminalsession

This will popup a Mozilla sessions and ask youto download dontnet 3.0

After downloading dotnet 3.0, run the following commands from aterminal session

Cd Downloads

Cp netframework3.exe/home/xxxx/.cache/winetricks/dotnet30

9) Run the following command from a terminalsession

This will start the dotnet3.0 installation. Follow the installation prompts. Once the dotnet3.0 installation completesclick Finish

Note: Dotnet3.0installer disappears on to the toolbar at the top. Simply right click on the installer icon onthe tool bar and select View Progress details

10) When Dotnet3.0 installer completes it willautomatically start XPS Esstentials Pack setup wizard, follow throughinstallation wizard. Ensure you selectregister for the the XPS document viewer.

11) When XPS Esstentials Pack setup wizardcompletes it will automatically start dotnet3.0Sp1 installer, follow throughinstallation wizard. Ensure you selectregister for the the XPS document viewer.

12) When dotnet3.0Sp1 installer finishes, Run thefollowing command from a terminal session

bash winetricks gdiplus

This will popup a Mozilla sessions and ask youto download .Net Framework 1.0 GDIPLUS.DLL Security Update

After downloading .Net Framework 1.0 GDIPLUS.DLL SecurityUpdate, run the following commands from a terminal session

Cd Downloads

Cp netframework3.exe /home/xxxx/.cache/winetricks/gdiplus

13) Run the following command from a terminalsession

bash winetricks gdiplus

This will start the gdiplus installation.

14) Download Skydemon from www.skydemon.aero

15) Install Skydemon via winetricks

Hey Presto you now have skydemon running onUbuntu.

Now to get wine/SD to read and write from your SD card/Card reader

1) Run the following command from a terminal sessiom

winecfg

2) when Wine Config opens select the Drives tab and click Add, then select a drive letter that you want to add.

3) once the dive shows in the drive mapping window, highlight it. Then select browse, and browse to media and then the ID of the SD card, then click OK

4) Highlight the drive you created again in drive mapping and select Show Advanced, in the Type drop down select Floppy Disk. Click OK.

5) In Skydemon go to Setup then device connectivity options. Click on Install SkyDemon on a new Windows CE device. Then select the new drive that you created. Click Next, select the mspd you want to sync, then click OK.

Once step 5 has been completed you can just use the sync button in the future.

blah blah blah
Xavier
Xavier
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you for your input,
With the same method, do you think it might be possible to have SkyDemon run on Mac? using osxwinebuilder project tools for instance?
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
I've had SD running natively on the Mac using CrossOver. The only thing that didn't work was the simulator. The performance was outstanding - it felt quicker than running it under Windows.

Same instructions as gfry in the sense that you need to install the dotnet30sp1 and gdiplus winetricks.
Xavier
Xavier
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)
Many Thanks I'll try that
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
A big thanks to you GFRY for the recipe. It almost smoothly and works very nicely. I have tried it with wine some two years ago and later gave up after I discovered it ran ever so slow. At the time Stevelup was kind enough to advise on installation with wine.

Your method seems to make SD run smoothly. Nowadays, I only need Windows for Sky Demon and MS Flight Simulator. Once I manage to install MS FS on Linux, there is every chance that I may not need it any longer and may even abandon making the leap into Win 8, having tried your method.

Incidentally, I only use Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Keep up the good work.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 11/1/2012 3:15:31 PM by Runways
gfry
gfry
Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)Too Much Forum (562 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Why do you need MS flight sim? can you not use Flightgear? http://www.flightgear.org/

It was oringally designed for Linux.

blah blah blah
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Hello Gfry, I am sorry as I did not see your above post earlier. I actually have never heard of FlightGear previously. Either not informed enough or not a Geek enough...tut...tut...tut. I will look into it tonight!

The reason I looked for your earlier posting about Linux, Ubuntu and Mint, is to take my hat ( for the second time) for your aforementioned posting that made the installation of the latest version 2.4.5 (only released yesterday) a breeze and easier than windows. I only had to download the new version, click install, and voila, without having to un-install the earlier version as recommended normally.

Many thanks and have a Merry X-mas.

PS: Is FlightGear geared towards flight training?

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 11/4/2012 10:48:20 PM by Runways
Runways
Runways
Hello again Gfry,
FlightGear does not appear as elaborate as MS Flight Sim. Indeed FlightGear looked like MS flight Sim some 20 years ago. Unless I am missing something that is.
If I am not, I am sure it will continue to improve in the future.
Thanks again for highlighting it.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
What about X-Plane. Runs natively on Mac, Linux and Windows. You need a powerful machine for it to run nicely though.

Far more advanced than FSX which received its last ever update more than five years ago.
Runways
Runways
Thank you Steve. I tried XPlane a few years back but was not impressed. I will give it another try. I use an i7 16 mb ram with a dedicated nvidia. Although there has been no updates for MS fx for sometime it is in my opinion quite advanced in its current format so far as flight training is concerned. Wouldn't you agree?

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search