Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SD 2.4.3 beta

Author
ACW20
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
[quote]I think they are a great addition - I honestly can't see why anyone would have a problem with this!{/quote]

Remember everyone has an opinion. I was just voicing mine. Personally I think they look very tacky.
2high2fastagain
2high2fastagain
Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)
I think the new chart format is more pleasing to look at and gives a better feel for where the high ground is. The green colour is a a little disconcerting. I think the best answer would be to get rid of the green and recolour the lower level hills a sandy or light brown colour and bring back the forests and wooded area. They are very useful things on a chart for VFR flight.
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)
2high2fastagain, Absolutely.
Whenever the discussion gets heated about adding various instrument options, Tim & Team resort to emphasising that SD is actually a VFR package, as their exit clause.
I wonder if we need to worry now, as the next to go would be the roads & rails, followed by whole villages and cities. We may even end up with a GPS atlas of Geology to navigate with.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 9/30/2012 5:43:49 PM by Runways
2high2fastagain
2high2fastagain
Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)
Runways, I don't think you need worry. Tim and his team are capable of writing quite exceptional software and do listen carefully to feedback. Some of their reticence over new things (which I know irritated one chap at the stand at the LAA rally) I interpret as a strategy under-promising and over-delivering (a rare treat in the IT industry). Skydemon is very good and I believe it will continue to develop without becoming a dog's breakfast. The beta discussion I think is just that.
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)Too Much Forum (37K reputation)
I happen to have the same view 2high2fastagain. Indeed proudly say also that my subscription expires end 2014 (not 2013). Such is the confidence in Tim & Team and SD, that I do not rely on the CAA charts any more, since I began to use SD seriously 2 years ago. I just hope that improvements could be made without jeopardising the real fundamental requirements. Come to think of it the new map, as seen in the sample on page one of this thread, in my humble opinion is almost a hybrid between VFR & IFR maps. Perhaps this sort of map can also be added as an option keeping the original de-cluttered SD map in.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
2high2fastagain
2high2fastagain
I know what you mean. I tend to complete my planning in Skydemon and then have a look at my paper charts and draw the lines. I think I'll always carry half mil paper with me, but I only really use them to check on things in flight. For example, I'm never sure which London Information frequency to use - it tells you on the CAA half mil. I suspect this may not be necessary. Early Skydemon sometimes used to put the frequencies out of order as I recall, but I think it lines them up now.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
Let me reiterate that the other SkyDemon chart style is not going anywhere. We like the white to gray to green to brown colouring for terrain as it more helpfully distinguishes between different types of terrain without taking as much visual contrast as the deep browns used in the original chart, which was based on the CAA chart and is very unsuitable for more mountainous terrain.

We're not showing tree areas in the new chart style because:
  • They're not available for many countries anyway
  • They slow down the drawing of the map
  • When we tried showing them, we couldn't find a shade of green which stood out enough against the new green terrain colouring, which we believe is much more valuable
Yes we promote SkyDemon as a VFR product but that doesn't mean we need to show everything that's on the ground. This is a GPS, remember, and we have no intention of showing white horses, quarries, minor roads and other things like that. VFR are flight rules, not an automatic suggestion that you should be navigating from one oddly-shaped piece of woodland to the next.

As always we'll bow to the overwhelming feedback coming back, but we do intend to launch 2.4.3 configured in this way.
Edited 10/1/2012 12:01:34 PM by Tim Dawson
Runways
Runways

That is very reasonable and perfectly understandable Tim.

Having said that, may I request your opinion about the following points:

1. Could this additional layering, colouring and foliage rendering be optional for users to choose in the knowledge that their map rendering may consequently become slower?

2. Alternatively could the older as well as the newer SD maps be available for users to choose from say as SD Map1 and SD Map2...?

3. IFR maps are uncluttered with arrows and way points do not need much colouring except for black,white and (dare I say...) a Few SHADES OF GREY... ! It may be that their inclusion could prove desirable and even topical at this moment in time. Could they be considered to be incorporated into this VFR package?

4. I personally have not noticed appreciably slow map refreshing or rendering. (added 2nd Oct. 2012)

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 10/2/2012 7:59:47 PM by Runways
steinardo
steinardo
Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.1K reputation)
Tim, regarding the waypoints, I dont know how prograaming works, but the way routes work is good. If I should ask for even more refinement, a sync function like Dropbox would be on the top of the list. Meaning, if you update on one device it will automatically update on the others, leaving the clouding transparent. Dont know what practical issues this might introduce though.

Nevertheless, not worrying about white horses, good work :-)
Robby
Robby
Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)
HI Tim

I don't think the original charts are cluttered and prefer them to the new version; reason = original charts with terrain as shades of brown rather than green. Also prefer trees showing. Can't see why they cannot be included in the experimental version - is it because the terrain is now green?

I do like the way the airfields are now shown in 2.4.3. - excellent

Robby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search