Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Finland

Author
Kmanfi
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, I found some issues. But hey, only these! Smile
I verified all airfields in Finland and read finnish AIP to found these.

THE LEVEL OF VFR FLIGHTS
4.5 VFR is fixed in FPL.
https://ais.fi/ais/vfr/gen_en/flight_plans.html#1003270

12.6 missing airfields, eg. EFMN, EFLL, EFLN, EFPA, EFVL, EFVP, EFVI
https://ais.fi/ais/vfr/aerodromes/aerodrome_toc.html

1.3 Missing FIR sectors, 1-7 FIR sectors
https://ais.fi/ais/vfr/gen_en/airspace_classification.html#1010287
and sector frequencies. See "TAMPERE RADAR" in
https://ais.fi/ais/vfr/gen_en/air_traffic_services.html#1003963

1.2.1 Missing Protection zones eg. around EFFO
https://ais.fi/ais/vfr/gen_en/airspace_classification.html#1003418

Closed RWs are missing like EFHJ, EFHI, EFJP, EFMP, EFVU
See link.
http://www.lentopaikat.net/english.shtml

Missing noise abatement area around Helsinki downtown. See VAC.
https://ais.fi/ais/eaip/aipcharts/efhf/EF_AD_2_EFHF_VAC.pdf
There are several abatement areas in Finland. Above is one example.

Missing two protection zones for industrial plants.
https://ais.fi/ais/eaip/pdf/enr/EF_ENR_5_3_EN.pdf

Nice to have feature Smile
-Visualize upper air sounding balloons mentioned in the previous link. Would be nice if wind direction is used to shade probability of area where it might be.
- route warnings about bird migration. See.
https://ais.fi/ais/eaip/pdf/enr/EF_ENR_5_6_EN.pdf

Br.

Kmanfi
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Thanks for your feedback. I'll respond to your points individually.

I do not understand how the link to the level of VFR flights is relevant to SkyDemon.

In terms of missing airfields, I will forward this to the person responsible for comment.

I do not understand how FIR sectors are relevant and why they should appear in the SkyDemon chart, perhaps I am missing something?

The "protection zones" you mention (1.2.1) seem like the kind of thing we would normally include in our charts but I can find no reference to them in the AIP (there isn't even an entry for EFFO). Can you point to the source of this data? Same with noise abatement areas, if they are promulgated in the AIP with their coordinates.

I do not understand why we would add closed runways to SkyDemon?

We will add the protection zones from ENR5.3 to this week's chart update; thanks.
Kmanfi
Kmanfi
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Hello,
see comments below.

I do not understand how the link to the level of VFR flights is relevant to SkyDemon.
Example: I'll fly EFHF-EFTU and like to climb A065. It's controlled class C airspace. If I fill Cruising Level as VFR in FPL, ACC don't know my wish to fly A065. There is instructions how to file this wish in FPL.
See.
FPL instructions main page
and Instructions PDF. Page 10, ROUTE(Item 15), (b) Cruising Level.
In terms of missing airfields, I will forward this to the person responsible for comment.
Done.
12.6 missing airfields, eg. EFMN, EFLL, EFLN, EFPA, EFVL, EFVP, EFVI

I do not understand how FIR sectors are relevant and why they should appear in the SkyDemon chart, perhaps I am missing something?
Each FIR sector has it's own ACC frquency and when flying cross country there are several regulations why pilot should be in that freq. See AIP.

2.8 Air-Ground Communication

An appropriate air-ground communication shall be established and maintain continious listening watch on VFR flights when operating at areas or routes specified by the Finnish Civil Aviation Authority. Also a position report shall be given to the ATS unit providing flight information service.

Unless otherwise prescribed or agreed, an aircraft operated outside controlled airspace shall establish radio communication with the appropriate ATS unit when crossing FIR boundary.

If an aircraft on a VFR flight by night crosses a FIR boundary, it shall establish communication with the ACC prior to entering the FIR.

The "protection zones" you mention (1.2.1) seem like the kind of thing we would normally include in our charts but I can find no reference to them in the AIP (there isn't even an entry for EFFO). Can you point to the source of this data? Same with noise abatement areas, if they are promulgated in the AIP with their coordinates.
I'll try to find...
I do not understand why we would add closed runways to SkyDemon?
You have option: Map Layers / Airfields / Disused in SkyDemon. Is it for closed runways?
We will add the protection zones from ENR5.3 to this week's chart update; thanks.
Done
Br,
Kmanfi
Tags
E-gun
E-gun
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Example: I'll fly EFHF-EFTU and like to climb A065. It's controlled class C airspace. If I fill Cruising Level as VFR in FPL, ACC don't know my wish to fly A065. There is instructions how to file this wish in FPL.
See.
FPL instructions main page
and Instructions PDF. Page 10, ROUTE(Item 15), (b) Cruising Level

This is a common mistake.

In a VFR FP - and that is what SD is about - you can not specify a crusing level other than VFR.

Smile E-gun

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
In a VFR FP - and that is what SD is about - you can not specify a crusing level other than VFR.

Where do you get this information? I certainly have files VFR flightplans giving a definite cruising altitude. Also, in some places I have been requested to enter my initial cruising altitude, no matter that I was flying VFR.

So it seems that different ATC units prefer things to be done differently.

-- Chris.

E-gun
E-gun
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
In Denmark a VFR flightplan will be rejected if the level is other than VFR.

Here an extract from the Danish VFR Guide:

3. Completion of the flight plan item 15 in connection with VFR-flights within København FIR, the following specifications regarding level and positions apply:
- irrespective of which class of airspace a VFR flight is planned to fly in, the data element 'Cruising Level' in the flight plan item 15 is only to be completed by the letters 'VFR' and
- in the data element 'Route' in the flight plan item 15, specification of either commonly known geographical place names or ICAO Doc 7910 location indicators are allowed.

It might be different in other countries but at least in Sweden and Germany it is the same as in Denmark.

E-gun
Kmanfi
Kmanfi
FYI SkyDemon Team.

Finnish Aviation author released today brand new Helsinki area georeferenced PDF.
Download link is here.
Info page is here.

-Kmanfi
Tags
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The default option in SkyDemon is to generate VFR as opposed to a specific level in a flightplan. This option can be changed so a specific level is generated, at least it can in SkyDemon Plan, but usually people prefer to have the freedom to fly at any level.

Regarding the ACC frequencies, are these areas published within the AIP? We do include such things when they offer a Flight Information Service.
Kmanfi
Kmanfi
The ACC area coordinates, frequencies and call signas are published in AIP.
Here is a link to the AIP.
Tags
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Aha, are you referring to the 7 sectors mentioned next to the FIR definition?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search