Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad in Helicopter - Demo version and Licensing

Author
helisharing_dot_co_dot_uk
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi - we tried out the ipad in anger at the weekend and still like it but discovered a few quirks, which I'll come to, but (through our own fault it seems) having checked that the Sky-Demon subscription was valid mis-understood the licensing model and therefore expected to have fully working version not a demo version limited to 30 minutes use.

Unfortunately it was necessary to remove the previously installed GPS to fit the iPAD and it came as a bit of a surprise when it turned itself off and announced that it was only usable for 30m. Fortunately had charts and a baby Garmin as well.

Can I therefore suggest that when you switch to navigation mode (on any platform) you throw up a splash screen confirming if the device is operating in demo mode or full mode that requires a user acceptance. I would also suggest a warning a few minutes before it switches itself off - just so you know. It took a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

Secondly - I have looked around the forums and found someone else asking the same question, but no answer has been posted what is required to have the full license? As there are a number of options it my be worth having a quick table that shows what you need to buy for each thing as I am a bit confused what I need if I just want to use an ipad vs. if I want an ipad and PC and web etc.

Now the quirks ..

- in the helicopter the ipad bounces around (but I presume that's valid in smaller fixed wing as well) when the orientation of the screen is flipping between portrait and landscape (I now know to lock this by changing the settings to use the mute button as a screen lock) but the problem is that on several occasions the track disappeared off screen as if it was still scaled to the other orientation where the big yellow arrow points down and the aircraft icon is off the page. I waited a while but when I couldn't wait any longer I had to manually drag the screen to put the aircraft icon in the middle of the screen.

- in simulation mode when you approach an airfield the extended runway lines pop up - very useful, could even be a bit more prominent. However it seems (and maybe this was a quirk of the simulation/demo mode) when you approach the London TMA/ATZ this doesn't happen for Heathrow as you are already inside with no ATZ boundary !! Hmm.

Anyway I also noticed that once you have entered the TMA that you dont get any further alerts as you get close to Heathrow - would have guessed the bigger airports are when you need it more.

Any feedback appreciated.
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
I have looked around the forums and found someone else asking the same question, but no answer has been posted what is required to have the full license? As there are a number of options it my be worth having a quick table that shows what you need to buy for each thing as I am a bit confused what I need if I just want to use an ipad vs. if I want an ipad and PC and web etc.

Is this what you're looking for? At the bottom of the table it states:

"Cells highlighted in yellow indicate that your subscription must have the navigation upgrade to gain unlimited access to the feature. Evaluation of the feature may be permitted without the navigation upgrade for limited time periods."
Edited 2/27/2012 11:17:49 AM by srayne
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Alerts are triggered by approaching airspace, not aerodromes. You should get one when approaching the London/Heathrow CTR.

I don't really understand the orientation problem, it sounds like this was caused by not properly locking your iPad before flight.

The warning you suggest for starting flight with only an evaluation license has already been integrated with SkyDemon and is included in the forthcoming update to the iPad app.
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Yep - That's exactly what I was looking for (and couldn't find) :-)

"I don't really understand the orientation problem, it sounds like this was caused by not properly locking your iPad before flight."

The iPad was physically mounted using a suction cup to the screen and a specific iPad cradle but due to the vibration, and when banking, the screen would flip erratically between landscape and portrait mode, even though the iPad was only securely mounted in landscape mode. I now know that I can lock the screen to stop it doing that, but the point was that when navigating if the screen flips a couple of times it doesn't seem to recover properly once the aircraft Icon has gone off the screen.

Or to say it another way - normally the aircraft icon is roughly in the middle and the map moves to keep it in the middle, but once the screen flipped erratically a few times the icon was off the page and this moving map behavior of keeping the icon in the middle stops happening.

I would expect that if it starts with the aircraft icon in the middle on landscape mode and it flips a few times, when it returns to a stable landscape mode, it should still be in the middle, but it isn't. Even then I would expect it to recover in a short time-frame but it didn't.

"Alerts are triggered by approaching airspace, not aerodromes. You should get one when approaching the London/Heathrow CTR"

I understand that the an alert is triggered by airspace but the two issues with that are;

a) If you take off from (say) Northolt and fly in the wrong direction towards LHR you wont be warned unless you create an additional logical boundary within the CTR, which is basically the suggestion. What happens for Battersea - also no warning ?

b) The extended runway markers don't seem to get activated when you are in London CTR

Thanks
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Extended runway centrelines appear when you're nearing your destination (when available). There's no other logic than that, I don't think, so if you could give a specific example of planned route, aircraft position and failure to display them, we can look into it for you.

Regarding the airspace warning issue, I think what you're after is another kind of warning besides airspace. Our airspace warnings are just that: they warn about upcoming airspace. If you're within a piece of airspace you won't be further warned about it and this is by design, sorry.

We will look into the orientation change issue that you experienced.
Ahh - OK I didn't realise that the centre-lines only are applicable to the destination and not airfields in general. My mistake.

In that case would it be possible to have an option to turn them on for all airfields within X nm ?
The logic being that if you are flying through an approach to a long final it would prompt you to give an extra lookout to aircraft on a direct approach. Just a thought.
PS - Thanks for the clarifications - with so many devices out there it's good to have a good GPS with a good support forum.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
It actually used to work a little like that; not exactly, but we'd display centrelines for all airfields forming your route. So if your penultimate waypoint happened to be an airfield you'd see them for both that one and your destination. Even with that configuration, the display was too cluttered. Still, we'll definitely bear an option in mind for the future.
Tim

I looked at ANP and they draw a line around LHR & City as well as the greater TMA/CTR apparently for the reasons indicated.

Cheers

Dave

helisharing.co.uk
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search