SkyDemon Forums

iPad in Helicopter - Demo version and Licensing

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic5100.aspx

By helisharing_dot_co_dot_uk - 2/27/2012 10:56:36 AM

Hi - we tried out the ipad in anger at the weekend and still like it but discovered a few quirks, which I'll come to, but (through our own fault it seems) having checked that the Sky-Demon subscription was valid mis-understood the licensing model and therefore expected to have fully working version not a demo version limited to 30 minutes use.

Unfortunately it was necessary to remove the previously installed GPS to fit the iPAD and it came as a bit of a surprise when it turned itself off and announced that it was only usable for 30m. Fortunately had charts and a baby Garmin as well.

Can I therefore suggest that when you switch to navigation mode (on any platform) you throw up a splash screen confirming if the device is operating in demo mode or full mode that requires a user acceptance. I would also suggest a warning a few minutes before it switches itself off - just so you know. It took a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

Secondly - I have looked around the forums and found someone else asking the same question, but no answer has been posted what is required to have the full license? As there are a number of options it my be worth having a quick table that shows what you need to buy for each thing as I am a bit confused what I need if I just want to use an ipad vs. if I want an ipad and PC and web etc.

Now the quirks ..

- in the helicopter the ipad bounces around (but I presume that's valid in smaller fixed wing as well) when the orientation of the screen is flipping between portrait and landscape (I now know to lock this by changing the settings to use the mute button as a screen lock) but the problem is that on several occasions the track disappeared off screen as if it was still scaled to the other orientation where the big yellow arrow points down and the aircraft icon is off the page. I waited a while but when I couldn't wait any longer I had to manually drag the screen to put the aircraft icon in the middle of the screen.

- in simulation mode when you approach an airfield the extended runway lines pop up - very useful, could even be a bit more prominent. However it seems (and maybe this was a quirk of the simulation/demo mode) when you approach the London TMA/ATZ this doesn't happen for Heathrow as you are already inside with no ATZ boundary !! Hmm.

Anyway I also noticed that once you have entered the TMA that you dont get any further alerts as you get close to Heathrow - would have guessed the bigger airports are when you need it more.

Any feedback appreciated.
By helisharing_dot_co_dot_uk - 3/3/2012 7:16:37 PM

Tim

I looked at ANP and they draw a line around LHR & City as well as the greater TMA/CTR apparently for the reasons indicated.

Cheers

Dave

helisharing.co.uk