Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Minor issue with version 4

Author
matthew_w100
Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Little cosmetic issue I and a few others have noticed since the upgrade to version 4. In the old days, when you were not moving (eg on the apron) the plane symbol on the SD screen was still, and pointed in roughly the right direction. Since the upgrade it jiggles around like an Irish dancer on hot lava. Until you start moving when it settles down. It's of no significance except that it is a change in behaviour that at least three people have noticed. My amateur diagnosis is that version 3 took a feed from the device compass to use when there was no track data, and that somehow that no longer works. But I'm probably completely wrong.  I, and one other experiencing this issue, run SD on Samsung S22 phones.  I don't know about the others.

Anyone else noticed?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)SkyDemon Team (640K reputation)
Our iOS version has used the device compass to show your heading (when you're still) for a long time, and it works well. For v4 we tried to make our Android version match that behaviour, but it turns out that the accelerometer in lots of people's Android devices is garbage so we've had to reverse change. We released a minor update yesterday to the Play Store that you should already be able to get, that simply turns that off.

We'll try again in our next release using a better sensor, and see how that goes.

matthew_w100
matthew_w100
Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)Too Much Forum (97 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/5/2024 9:34:13 AM
Our iOS version has used the device compass to show your heading (when you're still) for a long time, and it works well. For v4 we tried to make our Android version match that behaviour, but it turns out that the accelerometer in lots of people's Android devices is garbage so we've had to reverse change. We released a minor update yesterday to the Play Store that you should already be able to get, that simply turns that off.

We'll try again in our next release using a better sensor, and see how that goes.

Good Lord - you mean I was on the right track?  I agree about Androids - this Samsung was an experiment for me and I'm going back to an iPhone at the next renewal.

That said, the compass on my iPad is exactly 180 degrees out (for all compass apps, so it's the sensor) and no matter how many figure-8 and reboots I do resolutely remains the same.  They must have put the chip in upside-down.  So maybe it's not just Androids which are garbage.

Thanks for sorting, anyway.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search