Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

QNH on Radio Tab while flying

Author
B
Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In the manual it states: "At the top of the Radio tab you’ll also see a pressure setting (QNH) taken from the nearest airfield with a recent METAR bulletin."

Presumably if I'm flying low enough to get a mobile signal then this will be updated (yes have a cellular iPad).

However, if above say 5,000' in Wales, does SD keep a record of airfields on my route and populate the QNH field as I go along but with data that will only be relevant at the time of last contact with the mobile phone network? Agreed QNH shouldn't change massively during a flight but just curious.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)
BS - 6/15/2024 8:22:26 PM
In the manual it states: "At the top of the Radio tab you’ll also see a pressure setting (QNH) taken from the nearest airfield with a recent METAR bulletin."

Presumably if I'm flying low enough to get a mobile signal then this will be updated (yes have a cellular iPad).

However, if above say 5,000' in Wales, does SD keep a record of airfields on my route and populate the QNH field as I go along but with data that will only be relevant at the time of last contact with the mobile phone network? Agreed QNH shouldn't change massively during a flight but just curious.

At 5000' over Wales, you'd probably receive the ATIS for Hawarden, Cardiff and Birmingham (and probably Valley and Gloucester as well) Just take an average across the closest.

BS
B
Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)
grahamb - 6/16/2024 11:08:04 AM
BS - 6/15/2024 8:22:26 PM

At 5000' over Wales, you'd probably receive the ATIS for Hawarden, Cardiff and Birmingham (and probably Valley and Gloucester as well) Just take an average across the closest.

Agreed there are other options to get QNH, just wondering how SD populates the QNH field if out of mobile coverage.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)
I suspect we will show you the data from the latest (and closest) METAR, but only if it was within the last hour or similar length of time.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.5K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/17/2024 9:54:46 AM
I suspect we will show you the data from the latest (and closest) METAR, but only if it was within the last hour or similar length of time.

And from playing with the simulator, it seems to only display the nearest (and most recent) within 50nm.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search