Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Nexus7 Sky Echo Protocol not available

Author
B
Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a couple of elderly-but-good Nexus7 tablets which have been working well for some time but currently refuse to play with my Skyecho. 
When I select  'go flying' it offers the option of internal location services or skyecho as usual, but if I select skyecho a 'protocol not available' banner appears and it does not function.
The internal GPS seems to work happily with Skydemon as usual.
Since this is common to two tablets and I have no such problem with another tablet I assume it is some kind of incompatibility /update that has triggered this and others would have experienced the same issue- I've searched the forum and cannot find any reference, so has anyone else observed this or am I missing something well known?

rikur
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
BillB - 4/21/2024 11:33:53 AM
I have a couple of elderly-but-good Nexus7 tablets which have been working well for some time but currently refuse to play with my Skyecho. 
When I select  'go flying' it offers the option of internal location services or skyecho as usual, but if I select skyecho a 'protocol not available' banner appears and it does not function.
The internal GPS seems to work happily with Skydemon as usual.
Since this is common to two tablets and I have no such problem with another tablet I assume it is some kind of incompatibility /update that has triggered this and others would have experienced the same issue- I've searched the forum and cannot find any reference, so has anyone else observed this or am I missing something well known?

I've got the same problem. I've tried uninstall/reinstall, delete all data, etc ..... but no luck. 
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
It seems that the latest tools that we use for building SkyDemon for Android have resulted in the loss of this functionality on those particular tablets or that particular old operating system. There isn't anything we can do about this, however to keep your old tablets going with SkyDemon you can revert to an older version of SkyDemon (available on our website) if you wish.
BillB
B
Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)Too Much Forum (226 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/23/2024 10:47:19 AM
It seems that the latest tools that we use for building SkyDemon for Android have resulted in the loss of this functionality on those particular tablets or that particular old operating system. There isn't anything we can do about this, however to keep your old tablets going with SkyDemon you can revert to an older version of SkyDemon (available on our website) if you wish.

Thanks Tim, a shame to have the Nexus7's  made redundant - but they are a decade old I suppose (though I struggle to find anything much better in a bright cockpit). 
I can confirm to anyone in the same situation that uninstalling the current version and installing an earlier version does resolve the problem.

fruitloops101
fruitloops101
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
BillB - 4/24/2024 10:42:05 PM
Tim Dawson - 4/23/2024 10:47:19 AM

Thanks Tim, a shame to have the Nexus7's  made redundant - but they are a decade old I suppose (though I struggle to find anything much better in a bright cockpit). 
I can confirm to anyone in the same situation that uninstalling the current version and installing an earlier version does resolve the problem.

Installing an earlier version (3.16.11 or lower) will solve the problem BUT you will lose FLARM functionality.
Long story short, I think this problem is something to do with the Nexus 7 itself. I have both 2012 & 2013 models and even forcing Android 11 onto the 2013 version (in the form of LineageOS) does not solve it.
I have reluctantly had to replace my Nexuses (Nexi?) with a Nokia T10 (2022/Android 12) which is a similar form factor although a tad heavier. They are hard to find new in the UK but you can get them from the EU for around £100.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search