Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Export to Garmin .FPL format - ICAO Waypoints odd

Author
T
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Skydemon Team,

I tried to export my Skydemon Flightplan to the Garmin .fpl format and it seems not to work anymore.
The Garmin SW “FlightPlan Migrator” ( import into GNS430W unit) comes back with the error message: “ *.fpl is not a valid Garmin flight plan file.”

Looking into the *.fpl file, it seems that the ICAO waypoints identifier has nothing in it where as an airport or e.g. a VOR has the correct identifier:
E.g. Metro-VOR:

<waypoint>
  <identifier>MTR</identifier>
  <type>VOR</type>
  <country-code>ED</country-code>
  <lat>50.276279</lat>
  <lon>8.848625</lon>
  <comment />

And the ICAO-Waypoint e.g. PEKIG:
<waypoint>
  <identifier />
  <type>INT</type>
  <country-code>ED</country-code>
  <lat>49.976944</lat>
  <lon>9.052222</lon>
  <comment />
  </waypoint>

Export worked last year in September, but not anymore. I tried MacOS as well as Windows Version. Is on both platforms the same.
Please find attached an example Flightplan with Skydemon and *.fpl format and as well as working *fpl file back from September 2023, with the correct ICAO-Identifiers.
Can you please try to reproduce this problem?
Many thanks,

Thomas

Attachments
Archive.zip (75 views, 4.00 KB)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
Thanks Thomas. This is definitely a bug, introduced because the way we store these waypoints internally has changed over the last few months. It will be fixed for the next version after 3.16.13 (which is already on its way out).
Steve G
S
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/27/2024 10:23:57 AM
Thanks Thomas. This is definitely a bug, introduced because the way we store these waypoints internally has changed over the last few months. It will be fixed for the next version after 3.16.13 (which is already on its way out).

Good morning.  I have have been using Sky Demon to upload flight plans to the G1000 very successfully, but recently have run into a problem.  I'm not sure if it's related to the above issue but I have the latest version of SD.

I load the flight plan to an SD card via the share function within Sky Demon on the iPad.  When loaded to the G1000 some waypoints are showing as locked.  The odd thing is the user waypoints are fine, it's just the ICAO waypoints that are locked.  When I manually replace the waypoints in the G1000 using the same identifier everything is fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated - this is a great feature.

Many thanks

Steve

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
Sorry, I have no idea what makes your hardware decide is a waypoint is "locked" or what that even means.

If you have an example of the same route, defined in alternative software, that does import in a better way into your device, you could send it to us and we could see what we can do to make the SkyDemon export more like the alternative.

Steve G
S
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/29/2024 1:32:40 PM
Sorry, I have no idea what makes your hardware decide is a waypoint is "locked" or what that even means.

If you have an example of the same route, defined in alternative software, that does import in a better way into your device, you could send it to us and we could see what we can do to make the SkyDemon export more like the alternative.

Hi Tim, thanks for your reply.

'locked' means it cannot be used for navigation.  If the waypoint is manually entered it's fine, but Sky Demon import no longer works.  The file is the Garmin .fpl format.

I was really asking if you've changed anything as it seems a similar issue to the initial post.  If not, I'll keep scratching my head as to why ICAO waypoint export no longer works.

Many thanks

Steve

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
There was something changed a few months ago which does explain the initial post in this thread. However that should be fixed now in the latest version. If you have an export from SkyDemon that isn't working correct, and one from another app that does work correctly, it would be very useful if you could send both to us so we can analyse them.
Steve G
S
Tim Dawson - 4/30/2024 10:03:29 AM
There was something changed a few months ago which does explain the initial post in this thread. However that should be fixed now in the latest version. If you have an export from SkyDemon that isn't working correct, and one from another app that does work correctly, it would be very useful if you could send both to us so we can analyse them.

I'll try with iPad and PC versions and find an app that works and get back to you.

Thanks again.

Steve G
S
Tim Dawson - 4/30/2024 10:03:29 AM

Hi Tim,

It appears the problem exists when importing .fpl plans from the iPad but not PC.  Would you like me to send you the two files?

Thanks

Steve

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Yes please. To be clear, you're saying the output from the two SkyDemon versions is different? This should not be possible as it's the same code, so I'd just check the version numbers of each first, to make sure you're on the latest.
Steve G
S
That’s correct Tim.

One flight plan compiled on PC and saved to cloud.

Saved to SD card direct from PC no problem, version saved to SD card via iPad has locked waypoints.

I’ll check versions before sending the files.

Cheers
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search