Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

X-Plane traffic display

Author
j
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have learned how to use Skydemon in navigation mode using X-Plane. This turned out to be very useful when actually using it in the air. After all, in the air you have a lot to do and you have no time to try all kinds of things with the software. 

What I am missing in Skydemon's view is traffic. I am using 3 kinds of traffic in X-Plane: native X-Plane AI planes, LiveTraffic (from adsbexchange) and IVAO (only one of these at a time). However, I cannot see this traffic in X-Plane. I would like to experience flying with live traffic info as well, as I am thinking of buying a Pilotaware Rosetta.

I understood the traffic protocol of X-Plane is rather simple. Is there any chance Skydemon will support this in the future?

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
jorisr - 2/17/2024 11:12:54 AM
I have learned how to use Skydemon in navigation mode using X-Plane. This turned out to be very useful when actually using it in the air. After all, in the air you have a lot to do and you have no time to try all kinds of things with the software. 

What I am missing in Skydemon's view is traffic. I am using 3 kinds of traffic in X-Plane: native X-Plane AI planes, LiveTraffic (from adsbexchange) and IVAO (only one of these at a time). However, I cannot see this traffic in X-Plane. I would like to experience flying with live traffic info as well, as I am thinking of buying a Pilotaware Rosetta.

I understood the traffic protocol of X-Plane is rather simple. Is there any chance Skydemon will support this in the future?

You do know that you can create traffic in SD's own simulator, don't you? For that matter, you can use it to try out features without the fuss of connecting it to Xplane!

Edited 2/17/2024 1:28:28 PM by grahamb
jorisr
j
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
I didn't know that, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to get a feel for how far and high traffic is that I see on the screen and "in reality". 
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
jorisr - 2/19/2024 9:11:37 AM
I didn't know that, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to get a feel for how far and high traffic is that I see on the screen and "in reality". 

In reality will depend entirely on the traffic device you are using, the position of its antenna(e) and the direction of the traffic itself.

I have a Rosetta sitting on my glare shield, with a remote PAW internal antenna positioned high on one side of the screen, and I can see PilotAware broadcast traffic well over 50 miles away in most directions, but below and behind me to my left I may not see it at all due to me being in the way. Equally I can see ADS-B traffic received by the 1090MHz antenna attached to the PAW itself at a similar distance or further, but under the nose at five miles it will be hidden by the engine. 

Using Xplane with a traffic feed will not simulate realistically what you yourself will get in your aeroplane as that depends on many factors.

jorisr
j
I understand not all planes will be visible on SD in reality, because not all transmit a signal that contains a position and some use an unsupported protocol. And as you wrote because the signal is blocked by some object so doesn't reach the antenna. But for what other reason would it be different than in the simulator?
Edited 2/19/2024 8:44:35 PM by jorisr
grahamb
grahamb
jorisr - 2/19/2024 8:36:13 PM
I understand not all planes will be visible on SD in reality, because not all transmit a signal that contains a position and some use an unsupported protocol. And as you wrote because the signal is blocked by some object so doesn't reach the antenna. But for what other reason would it be different than in the simulator?

You said you wanted to get a feel for the 'how far and high the traffic is that you see' from using X-Plane.

I said you wont get a realistic impression as the nature of the traffic itself, your cockpit installation, and the kit you use will all influence what you actually see.

That's all.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search