Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Where's the NOTAM info. gone from Sky Demon Light?

Author
J
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For 10+ plus years, I've done my pre-flight planning on Sky Demon Light and transferred the result tracks/wind correction, etc to a 500k chart.

In flight, I use the track on the chart in conjunction with AirBox Aware (sorry!) on an iPad, to show my true position.

NOTAMS always were available on the Sky Demon Light, to enable to. be planned around, or taken account of.

With the NOTAM info. now missing, I've had to use the NATS NOTAM website, which is vastly inferior to Sky Demon, as it has no graphical representation.
My i Pad is too old to load the "opposition" system. It is available on an iPhone, but having tried it, the NOTAM presentation is vastly inferior.
An iPhone screen is too small for this amount of info and there are far too many other functions - Checklists/Airfields, even WX, I can do without, on an in-cockpit screen !

Why has NOTAM info. gone !

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)
now you realize - one of the - value(s) SkyDemon offers. Why not use the full version?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
SkyDemon Light is a very old piece of software. We recently had to upgrade our servers and part of that upgrade means that very old versions of SkyDemon (light and full versions) no longer speak the same language as our new server.

In the case of SkyDemon Light, we've gone to considerable lengths to emulate the old language in our new server so that it continues to work. However, although our efforts have mostly worked (chart and terrain downloads are fine) we have so far not been able to get the NOTAMs working. Since there is no funding for SkyDemon Light, and hasn't been for around ten years, we are not in a position to update it as it would be a lot of work. I am therefore unable to say whether we'll be able to get the NOTAMs working in it again.

As someone else has said, the full version of SkyDemon will of course do what you need. You can try it for free, or get a cheap monthly subscription as needed.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search