Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Mixed (VFR / IFR) Mode should show VFR and IFR symbols

Author
l
Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
NB: This post could have easily lived in Planning, Navigation or Suggestions - I choose here arbitrarily.

- When switching from VFR to Mixed mode, the map stays in VFR mode (no IFR reporting points).
When switching from IFR to Mixed mode, the map says in IFR mode (no Airspace boundaries/info).

As it stands, when planning an IFR flight, I have to plan in VFR mode to ensure I'm not infringing, then switch to IFR mode to drag turning points onto a local IFR reporting points.  The same goes when en route; normally I'd fly in VFR mode, again to avoid infringing, then if any changes are required, I have to flip to IFR mode, make the route changes, then back again.

Ideally, at least for me, it would be much better if Mixed mode would show both Airspaces and IFR reporting points.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Why not just turn on the airways reporting points in VFR mode?
ljkenny
l
Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)
Because I didn't see that option, even after thoroughly searching all of the Setup menus.

After Googling your suggestion, I can now see it in Mapping at the bottom.

This is what I'm after - thank you.

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)
It’s funny I was going to raise a new request but I think this point is valid for another reason.
I have the exact same gripe.
But additionally, if I’m flying IFR I want IFR notams / so I end up doing as stated above to do the route planning, then going back to VFR to get the VFR features again and then back to mixed to get IFR NOTAMS.

The simple fix for me would be for mixed mode to show VFR Charts plus airways reporting points. Am I missing something?

I can’t understand the logic of keeping the airways view when going from IFR to mixed.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The original post was because the poster didn't realise that mapping options are independent of which chart mode you're in.

Set your flight rules and you'll get all the appropriate NOTAMs for your flight. If you set VFR or IFR, SkyDemon switches the chart mode to airways or VFR as a convenience, but you can switch the chart mode to whatever you want, whenever you want, anyway. It's independent of your flight rules and is right there in the Mapping screen.
marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)
Not sure i follow the logic.

When you choose VFR flight rules you get a VFR chart and VFR NOTAMs
From VFR flight rules: When you choose Mixed flight rules the chart doesn’t change but you get VFR & IFR NOTAMS
When you choose IFR flight rules you get airways chart and IFR NOTAMS
So far so good.

From IFR flight rules, when you choose Mixed you get VFR and IFR NOTAMS but you need to then additionally and manually change chart (or as I do go to VFR flight rules and then to Mixed).

So my point is that from a Ux perceptive I would have thought that 99.999% of users selecting mixed flight rules would want VFR charts to be shown. You’ve already said for convenience you change the charts in VFR and IFR mode so not sure why it can’t be don’t for Mixed mode.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The reasoning is that if someone chooses mixed flying rules, we don't make any assumptions about what kind of chart style they want. If we receive lots of feedback saying that we should be switching to VFR chart mode when someone selects mixed flying rules, we will no doubt make that change.

The option to switch to VFR chart mode is always there in the Mapping menu, no matter which flight rules your planned flight has.

marioair
m
Thanks.
Hoping people read this and like the post Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search