Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Safetycom and LL-Common Frequency on PLOG

Author
thornend
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For flights taking off or landing at UK airfields with no assigned frequency, it would be useful if the Safetycom frequency 135.480 could be listed on the PLOG.  It might encourage people to use it!  
It would be useful if the new LL-Common Frequency 130.490 MHz could be included in the enroute frequency listing, for similar reasons.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The reason we don't currently list SafetyCom in SkyDemon is that there's more than one in regular use (even in the UK), and it isn't clear which one should be selected for which area. The new LL frequency only adds to this confusion at the moment. We'll discuss it amongst the team next week.
thornend
thornend
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/1/2023 9:36:59 AM
The reason we don't currently list SafetyCom in SkyDemon is that there's more than one in regular use (even in the UK), and it isn't clear which one should be selected for which area. The new LL frequency only adds to this confusion at the moment. We'll discuss it amongst the team next week.

There is certainly only one frequency called "Safetycom" in the UK (135.480), which is intended for use by arriving and departing traffic at airfields that do not have an assigned frequency.  See: 
For sure, there are frequencies for balloonists, hang-gliders, and numerous frequencies for gliders, but that is not quite the same. They will all know what to use.  Moreover, none of those frequencies are called "Safetycom" so there is no risk of confusion.  The introduction of the LL frequency has caused a little confusion in some quarters, though it is clear that this is intended as an en-route frequency for flights in Class G below 2000'.  In contrast Safetycom is exclusively for arriving and departing traffic for airfields.  Hopefully the distinction will become clear. 
At present I have to write the Safetycom frequency on a printed Skydemon PLOG whenever flying to an airfield without an assigned frequency. I don't do that often enough to trust myself to remember it, and I am sure I am not alone in that.  That does require printing out the PLOG, and is slightly inconvenient.  

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
A Post-it note on the panel would work just as well!
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I am curious why balloonists, hang-glider pilots and glider pilots will all know what to use, but Safetycom requires an entry in SkyDemon.

I stand corrected about the multiple frequency thing, I must have been thinking of a different country.

Obviously it's a legitimate request, but one that we don't hear all that often. We will put some thought into how it might work. It's the sort of thing you might want shown for a UK (only) airfield but only if it has no other frequencies dedicated, presumably.

thornend
thornend
Incidentally, Pooleys have Safetycom listed in the frequencies section for all airfields that do not have an assigned frequency, rather than just leaving a blank.  I imagine those that operate from a farm strip would have the Safetycom frequency etched in their memory in the same way that most people would know their home base frequency without having to look it up. The issue is with people who visit uncontrolled airfields relatively infrequently (including myself!).  It is mostly simply a matter of convenience having the destination frequency printed on the PLOG, but there is a flight safety element too, in encouraging people not to approach and land in radio-silence.
The post-it note idea is amusing.  Why stop with just the destination frequency?  You could have post-it notes for all en-route frequencies  lined up along the dashboard, and dispense with having any frequencies listed on the PLOG Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search