Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Safetycom and LL-Common Frequency on PLOG

Author
thornend
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For flights taking off or landing at UK airfields with no assigned frequency, it would be useful if the Safetycom frequency 135.480 could be listed on the PLOG.  It might encourage people to use it!  
It would be useful if the new LL-Common Frequency 130.490 MHz could be included in the enroute frequency listing, for similar reasons.

Replies
thornend
thornend
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/1/2023 9:36:59 AM
The reason we don't currently list SafetyCom in SkyDemon is that there's more than one in regular use (even in the UK), and it isn't clear which one should be selected for which area. The new LL frequency only adds to this confusion at the moment. We'll discuss it amongst the team next week.

There is certainly only one frequency called "Safetycom" in the UK (135.480), which is intended for use by arriving and departing traffic at airfields that do not have an assigned frequency.  See: 
For sure, there are frequencies for balloonists, hang-gliders, and numerous frequencies for gliders, but that is not quite the same. They will all know what to use.  Moreover, none of those frequencies are called "Safetycom" so there is no risk of confusion.  The introduction of the LL frequency has caused a little confusion in some quarters, though it is clear that this is intended as an en-route frequency for flights in Class G below 2000'.  In contrast Safetycom is exclusively for arriving and departing traffic for airfields.  Hopefully the distinction will become clear. 
At present I have to write the Safetycom frequency on a printed Skydemon PLOG whenever flying to an airfield without an assigned frequency. I don't do that often enough to trust myself to remember it, and I am sure I am not alone in that.  That does require printing out the PLOG, and is slightly inconvenient.  

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)
A Post-it note on the panel would work just as well!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search