Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Location recording frequency

Author
G
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Morning all,

I've been using SD for a while, but only just registered here.  For my normal flying, all good, so my question is a bit niche.

I've been using SD on a Samsung Android device to record position of a prototype aeroplane on a flight test programme, then Google Earth to analyse the data.  Quality is good, and utility is good - also unlike just about every other app I've tried to use for the purpose, if I minimise it to use my device for something else, SD keep's recording - vital if I'm trying to use it to obtain flight test data.

SD is recording position at about 0.2Hz, which for most purposes is absolutely fine. However for, say, working out the exact moment an aeroplane leaves the ground (and thus allowing me to split the take-off roll from the airborne segment) it's a bit coarse.  In a perfect world I'd like around 10Hz, but even 1Hz should be quite adequate for my purposes.

Is there any way I can alter the frequency at which SD is recording position?

Thanks in advance if this might be possible.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
You'll only ever get 1hz from most GPS chipsets, and almost certainly that includes your Samsung device. You can't change the frequency of recording in SkyDemon, although we do increase from 0.2hz when there are significant changes in certain navigation data including speed and track. There's probably some other app you could get whose sole purpose is to log GPS data, though, I would have thought.
Guy Gratton
G
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
That's a shame, but thanks for the feedback Tim.  Is there any way you can suggest of gaming the system to increase the recording rate to 1Hz?, that would itself be a great help.  If not, I'll return to the problem of getting other apps to stay running in the background.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I don't think you could game the system, but the specific thing you were interested in recording might be recorded by SkyDemon anyway, as presumably it will be associated with rapid changes in speed and altitude. Have you had a look? I'm sure you'll find SkyDemon records at more than 0.2hz as those parameters change.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search