Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Some German DFS Charts appear to have pictures inside instead of vector graphics

Author
S
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After updating today the DFS AIP charts (paid subscription) I noticed that there were bigger files (around 8-14 MB per chart). When opening i.e. EDNX - Oberschleissheim, it seems that these aren't vector graphics anymore but instead pictures, as you can clearly seen on the below picture from the approach chart ( ~ 7,8MB) with all the compression artefacts. Whereas i.e. the arrival chart (~1,8MB) and apporach chart (~0,6MB) from EDDE - Erfurt is still crisp clear vector graphic.
Was this already all the time, that some charts were pictures? Or might this be a bug ad SD during processing? Or is this part of the DFS "Quality Offensive" to even mock more the paying general aviation?

Best regrads

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Unfortunately the quality of the documents we receive from DFS has been declining steadily over the years, and all newer documents appear to be raster rather than vector. This is obviously undesirable. I think we've asked them before about this, but since you've illustrated a great example above, I will ask them to comment on that directly and get back to you here.
Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/19/2023 9:05:32 AM
Unfortunately the quality of the documents we receive from DFS has been declining steadily over the years, and all newer documents appear to be raster rather than vector. This is obviously undesirable. I think we've asked them before about this, but since you've illustrated a great example above, I will ask them to comment on that directly and get back to you here.

now I'm really getting confused. So the free data is no good because it's poor quality and not georeferenced and SD wants to keep the high-quality version. Frair enough. The paid version is also poor quality now (just subscribed a few weeks back...)?!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Some of the newer documents are poorer quality than we would like. As for whether they are as poor quality as the free version, I cannot comment.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I will paste below the response from DFS after 6 weeks. Since most of their response is incorrect, I have responded to them robustly and told them I expect a better answer. For your information, in the latest update we received from them (29 JUN 2023) they changed 54 airfield documents. Out of these, 16 were of poor quality. I have listed them for the DFS to comment on.

All our maps are graphic files. We do not publish vector files!

Only about 35 airfields in Germany are affected by the resolution problem.
An additional procedure is required for these charts.

We can generate these charts with the blue IFR flag in a higher resolution.
But then the file size multiplies considerably!

The file is a compromise between file size and file resolution.

We are talking about the few places with an RMZ airspace in Germany.
There the file size has increased from 2 to 8 MB.
We are talking about an additional memory requirement of 200 MB.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search