Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Avidyne IFD540 10.3.0.2

Author
F
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,
I just updated my IFD540 from 10.2.6.1 to 10.3.0.2 some interesting new features. Everything working, all checksums correct, all settings have been preserved.
BUT: the SkyDemon connection to the IFD is no longer working. No GPS position, no flight plan upload. The connection to my traffic system (Air Avionics AT-1) works as before.
Of course, this is not a trivial Wifi connection issue - the Wifi connection is working.
What can I do to further diagnose or resolve the problem?
Best regards,
Fry

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I have no idea - Avidyne haven't told us of any change in connectivity features. Have you asked them?
Fry
F
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/5/2022 9:40:06 AM
I have no idea - Avidyne haven't told us of any change in connectivity features. Have you asked them?

I will. Meanwhile, if you could just brainstorm a little bit and let me know what I could do to diagnose the issue... (I am an IT-affine person, so I can try out stuff).

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
The Avidyne system sends us data over UDP I believe, you could check for that, but really it's them you need to speak to.
Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)
I would just like to add that I've also upgraded my IFD440 to 10.3 today and have the same issues. No position. No route upload despite the WiFi being connected. 

I believe there are several known issues with pilots in the States being unable to load plans from Foreflight and connect the controlling app so I doubt it's a SkyDemon problem. However any assistance that SD could offer from this end would be appreciated if you're in contact with Avidyne at any time. 

Thanks. 
Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)Too Much Forum (95 reputation)
Further to my post above, I have now watched Avidyne's WiFi/10.3 Webinar and found that there is a known issue with SkyDemon connecting to the latest update. See photo below: 

Whilst I will need to 'enable' my two Android tablets under the 'Devices' tab as first contacts on the new IFD WiFi network, it would appear that I will remain unable to send flight plans up to it unless I open the IFD100 app first. Since this is only available through Apple, and I'm on Android, do I now presume I can no longer 'talk' to my IFD? If so, is there a fix being planned and is there a rough timeline for completion? The mention of a code addition by SkyDemon was made on another forum. 

For reference the Webinar covering all matters 10.3 is here:
Everything you need to know about WiFi and the IFD

Thanks. 
Edited 10/19/2022 5:01:12 PM by Boeingboy
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
It turns out that Avidyne changed something about the protocol without telling us. Consequently, there is a development item we need to complete inside SkyDemon in order to accommodate this. I don't currently have a schedule for when we'll be able to do this. In the meantime I believe there is a workaround that Avidyne know about.
Boeingboy
Boeingboy

Thanks for your reply Tim,

Having raised a ticket with Avidyne they've replied in much the same way. I, on behalf of all Android users can only ask for your earliest attention to utilising the revised SDK for 10.3 to create a solution. Apart from not being able to upload flightplans, the IFD is not recognising the tablet, so GPS position is also unavailable. This for me is a safety degradation as I'm no longer able to back up the IFD position provided by SkyEcho or the tablets location services. As the IFD only recognises my iPad when IFD100 is open I presume this is not simply an Android/Avidyne issue.

I know that iPads are the preferred device of both companies but frankly having had overheating (and indeed physical burns) from using them on board I will not fly with them willingly. Apart from the ludicrous overpricing I find them less able to offer the best user experience compared to a Android. 

Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Well to answer my own problem. A work around has been found by a member of the Avidyne forum. He has found that using an app called UDP Sender to enable the IFD440 to see the tablet restores SD functionality as it was prior to 10.3. 
Instructions are: 
1. Connect the tablet to the IFD's WiFi network as before.
2. Open UDP Sender and having configured it, press 'Send'.
3. Go to Aux/Setup/Connectivity/Devices and check that the tablet is recognised.
4. Change the enablement setting to 'Always'.
5. Open SkyDemon and upload flight plans as before. A blue Alert will come up to inform you of a successful transfer.
6. Go to FMS/Route Page and activate the flight plan as before.

The UDP Sender app needs the following configuration prior to use: 
1. Destination IP           192.168.01
2. Port                           5686
3. Text                           AVISDK
4. Hex                           Leave blank. 

The app will retain the above information but you will need to press 'Send' everytime you connect your tablet to the IFd prior to using SkyDemon. (Note. It's not necessary to have SD open prior to connection as it is when using the IFD100 app on an iPAd).

Hope the above helps. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search