Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Improving accuracy of road network in South Africa

Author
A
Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks Tim.  The update is a definite improvement, but still some anomalies.
1. Seems that motorways are being classified erratically - eg with only Motorways showing the below appears:

With all roads the gaps are filled in see below:

A number of disconnected road segments here:

The N3 - a major national road - changes colour for some reason:
... and then back again:

And then final Q is on showing the road names - they seem to appear at certain scale, but not consistently - is there a way to toggle them on demand.

Cheers
Andrew

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Yep, OpenStreetMap data is terrible in many ways, you've illustrated some there. It's the only data I've managed to find so far though, so we either accept it, or revert to the old basic data.

Road labels do appear only at certain scales and for certain road classifications. You'd have to give a specific erratic example for me to comment further.

Andrew
A
Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/17/2022 10:51:24 AM
Yep, OpenStreetMap data is terrible in many ways, you've illustrated some there. It's the only data I've managed to find so far though, so we either accept it, or revert to the old basic data.

It's definitely an improvement.  What format do you need the road data in?  Perhaps I can ask the community in SA if anyone has access to other data.  On the OSM website it does show correctly, so must be linked to how the data is structured?

Andrew
A
Hi Tim...
I've spent some time looking at the OSM data structures in GEOJSON, and think I'm making some progress.  Is there an easier way I can communicate with you other than through the forum?
Thanks
Andrew

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
OSM data is too detailed to be appropriate for small-scale or aviation charts, so requires quite a bit of processing to be suitable for vector maps like ours. I can see you've sent me an email, which I'll reply to in due course.
ZWPilot
ZWPilot
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)
Please don't forget us guys north of the Limpopo.
I have tried several times to send updates for airspace, airfields and errors for Zimbabwe to SD but it seems we seldom get any joy.
I am lead to believe there is a designated person handling the Africa region but have never found out how to contact them.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search