Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Runaway length info

Author
M
Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello all, 
For me, getting runaway length info is difficult to find - need to go thru airfield menu, not 'visible' even in SD plate (see photo, this data is on runaway diagram only and very small print )  
Will be nice to have this useful info right on top, next to airfield elevation, there is enough space.

Regards, 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Marc25 - 2/2/2022 8:25:23 AM
Hello all, 
For me, getting runaway length info is difficult to find - need to go thru airfield menu, not 'visible' even in SD plate (see photo, this data is on runaway diagram only and very small print )  
Will be nice to have this useful info right on top, next to airfield elevation, there is enough space.

Regards, 

Touch 'Approach Information' and all the runway data is there. I'm not sure that qualifies as 'difficult to find'.

For what it’s worth, the runway data is also shown on the second page of the SkyDemon plate; just scroll up!

Edited 2/2/2022 9:06:03 AM by grahamb
Marc25
M
Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)
grahamb - 2/2/2022 8:32:05 AM
Hello all, 

Regards, 

Touch 'Approach Information' and all the runway data is there. I'm not sure that qualifies as 'difficult to find'.

For what it’s worth, the runway data is also shown on the second page of the SkyDemon plate; just scroll up!

grahamb - 2/2/2022 8:32:05 AM
Hello all, 

Regards, 

Hi Graham, you are right, thanks info.
From my point of view especially in flight ), to have runaway length info next to elevation field will be useful. 
This will avoid extra steps, taps & scroll, etc .

David Johnstone
David Johnstone
Too Much Forum (742 reputation)Too Much Forum (742 reputation)Too Much Forum (742 reputation)Too Much Forum (742 reputation)Too Much Forum (742 reputation)Too Much Forum (742 reputation)Too Much Forum (742 reputation)Too Much Forum (742 reputation)Too Much Forum (742 reputation)
You can set up your minimum runway length in your aircraft details.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I appreciate the suggestion to put runway length into the airfield header, but it's not clear how we would compress multiple runways into that space. As others have said, it's part of the Approach Info. Also, when you're getting close to your destination you'll see the Make Approach button at the bottom right. One touch of that will also give you a summary of runway information because you can choose which one you're heading for.
Marc25
M
Tim Dawson - 2/2/2022 10:47:03 AM
I appreciate the suggestion to put runway length into the airfield header, but it's not clear how we would compress multiple runways into that space. As others have said, it's part of the Approach Info. Also, when you're getting close to your destination you'll see the Make Approach button at the bottom right. One touch of that will also give you a summary of runway information because you can choose which one you're heading for.

I agree with you  .. sometime we just 'casual' flying around with SD activated, but without Flight plan mode ( of course, then is no  Appr. at bottom ) , I just thinking how convenient will be to have also length on the top, together with ID/name and altitude .. for us that is good info as is several AC flying all with different specs, and there is so many simple airstrips ( especially in Italy ) length is good info to have it shown next to elevation.. 

For multiple runaways - showing the longest one will be ok.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
It's a reasonable suggestion. If others think it's a good idea, they can reply here, and it may get done.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Marc25 - 2/2/2022 11:48:50 AM

I agree with you  .. sometime we just 'casual' flying around with SD activated, but without Flight plan mode ( of course, then is no  Appr. at bottom ) , I just thinking how convenient will be to have also length on the top, together with ID/name and altitude .. for us that is good info as is several AC flying all with different specs, and there is so many simple airstrips ( especially in Italy ) length is good info to have it shown next to elevation.. 

Here's something you might find useful if you are just bimbling around without a planned route.

Touch 'Airfields' tab > 'Find a Destination' > 'Runway availability'

This will show the runway lengths (but not orientation) for all the airfields on the chart, and works in 'Go Flying' mode.

Marc25
M
grahamb - 2/2/2022 5:35:55 PM
Marc25 - 2/2/2022 11:48:50 AM

Here's something you might find useful if you are just bimbling around without a planned route.

Touch 'Airfields' tab > 'Find a Destination' > 'Runway availability'

This will show the runway lengths (but not orientation) for all the airfields on the chart, and works in 'Go Flying' mode.

Thanks for suggestion, but this is 'way around options' 

As I discussed with my pilot colleagues, suggestion and idea is to have length info next to rwy elevation. Even in on-the-ground 'search' mode (What's Here) you need 3 taps to get airfield length info (see attached pics).. so, with first tap you get ID + elev, but you need two extra taps to get length ( please correct me if doing this in the wrong way ) 

So, our suggestion is to have airfield length in the square, maybe with coloured 'dot' in front of number, for example green for grass / grey for asphalt / orange ( brown ) for gravel - nice and instant basic infos, for full details it is always there 'Approach Information' button 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Your example given is perfectly solved by Graham's suggestion, which is explicitly designed to help you find somewhere to travel to based on runway length. All the lengths displayed right on the map, with zero clicks required once they're displayed.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search