Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon with Safesky.....Again!

Author
Tony N
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
One thing to bear in mind is that SafeSky app users transmit their GPS derived altitude.
Aircraft equipped with transponders transmit their altitude with reference to 1013.2
So, on a day like today where the QNH is 20 hPa above 1013.2, the difference in transmitted altitude between GPS derived altitude and "transponder" altitude is around 600 ft.
So, the clever algorithms that SkyDemon uses to warn of potential collision risks aren't going to work very well...
SafeSky is aware of this issue and is, I believe, trying to figure out how to fix this issue...

Robert H
R
Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
You can also have a look at "air traffic observer" which is an external unit using the GDL90 protocol. From their website:

To determine your altitude and difference towards other traffic it will use the onboard pressure sensor. The pressure is used to calculate your pressure altitude (QNE).

It is a great little unit, and cheap. Provides ADS-B in as well as traffic over internet as long as your phone have an internet connection. Works well with skydemon. 

I have no relation to the company more than as a customer, just think the unit is great and the customer support (just one person as far as I understand it) is fantastic. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search