Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Editable screen overlay

Author
R
Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Would it be possible to create a screen overlay, where you could directly write comments, pressure, frequencies, course, .... on ?
(Having a screen in the background to write on is great, but if you could write any comment on the screen it would be even better).

Something like:
2 buttons to write directly on the screen in flight. (Best with pen)
  1st button for texts, that stays where it is written. (Shown in color 1)
    I.e. local pressure, which moves out of view as flight progresses.
  2nd key for a text that remains on screen, even if the flight continues. (Shown in color 2)
An additional button to enable/disable the editable text screen, i.e. if the overlay is blending things underneath.

Also, an easy way to remove text.
Something like (in active mode) circle a text and delete it with a swipe.
(and a recovery swipe in case you deleted something unintentionally)

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Can you elaborate on why this suggestion, which if I understand correctly is to write on top of the map and other SkyDemon buttons/features, is better than the dedicated scratchpad that the product currently uses?
RainerM
R
Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 12/10/2021 10:14:45 AM
Can you elaborate on why this suggestion, which if I understand correctly is to write on top of the map and other SkyDemon buttons/features, is better than the dedicated scratchpad that the product currently uses?

The overlay should always be for the current flight only.
The advantage would be that courses, maximum or minimum altitude, short time freq, turn points and other things would always be visible.
Especially when crossing sections where it is bumpy or when receiving special instructions for takeoff or landing.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
I don’t know what device you use, but increasingly later operating systems permit ‘split screen’ or overlay of on app over another. A simple notepad app in a window alongside or over SkyDemon may work very well. Here’s an example of using iOS ‘Slide over’ to present a note taking app over SD in full screen mode. The Slide Over app can be repositioned left or right, or expanded in full half-width alongside SD.
Edited 12/11/2021 12:09:27 PM by grahamb
RainerM
R
grahamb - 12/11/2021 11:59:00 AM
I don’t know what device you use, but increasingly later operating systems permit ‘split screen’ or overlay of on app over another. A simple notepad app in a window alongside or over SkyDemon may work very well. Here’s an example of using iOS ‘Slide over’ to present a note taking app over SD in full screen mode. The Slide Over app can be repositioned left or right, or expanded in full half-width alongside SD.

Also not a bad idea, but at the moment I use the Huawei T3, which does not combine the internal and SD memory.
Means that almost the entire SD is free, while I can no longer install even the smallest app Sad
It's a pain in the neck and I'm already looking for a new Android tablet.

Anyway, I was thinking more about the possibility to directly mark e.g. ATC given turn points, min & max altitude, any provided or calculated things in flight, ... , so that they would move with the map and you wouldn't have to cross check them on another page.
This would have the advantage of allowing you to enter everything on the map and concentrate on flying.

Or if you want to do/check something at a certain point and altitude, you could calculate the values in flight, mark them on the map and keep flying until you reach them.
Or mark things you spotted directly on the map without having to create a new waypoint.
Especially since the waypoint would change your FP.

So all things you need the underlying map for, but don't want to change the FP and always have them in sight.

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
I like RainerM’s idea very much and vote for having this feature implemented in SD.

Thanks
Eric 

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)
I like the idea of map annotations. Could use it for highlighting cleared taxi routes on ground charts.
Quenos
Q
Too Much Forum (249 reputation)Too Much Forum (249 reputation)Too Much Forum (249 reputation)Too Much Forum (249 reputation)Too Much Forum (249 reputation)Too Much Forum (249 reputation)Too Much Forum (249 reputation)Too Much Forum (249 reputation)Too Much Forum (249 reputation)
Adam Erchegyi - 12/15/2021 11:05:55 AM
I like the idea of map annotations. Could use it for highlighting cleared taxi routes on ground charts.

I also would like be able to write directly on the map (in navigation mode). Just grab the apple pen and write. Especially when getting instructions from ATC. The current solution of having to take the pen, click the SD logo, click scratchpad is very slow. A split screen as was suggested cost valuable real estate.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Quenos - 6/27/2023 8:07:34 PM
Adam Erchegyi - 12/15/2021 11:05:55 AM

I also would like be able to write directly on the map (in navigation mode). Just grab the apple pen and write. Especially when getting instructions from ATC. The current solution of having to take the pen, click the SD logo, click scratchpad is very slow. A split screen as was suggested cost valuable real estate.

I think people need to think carefully how this would work in practice.

If you’ve written on an overlay, does that writing expand and contract as you zoom in and out, or does it remain at a constant scale, or is a hybrid solution desired?

Does it remain in place as the underlying chart is scrolled around (which you might want if it’s an ATC instruction) or does it move with the chart (which you’d want if it was an annotation of a waypoint, say)?

Does it remain in place over an overlaid georef’d AIP plate or does it get obscured?

I don’t think there are answers to questions like these that will suit everyone in all circumstances without making it horribly complex with multiple buttons all trying to enable conflicting states.

Edited 6/28/2023 8:29:42 AM by grahamb
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Thanks Graham for articulating very well the various difficulties in implementing such a feature!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search