Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Choosing Android Tablet

Author
K
Too Much Forum (278 reputation)Too Much Forum (278 reputation)Too Much Forum (278 reputation)Too Much Forum (278 reputation)Too Much Forum (278 reputation)Too Much Forum (278 reputation)Too Much Forum (278 reputation)Too Much Forum (278 reputation)Too Much Forum (278 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After trying 3 Android tablets I finally found one I really like. 
Lenovo M8 - perfect size, long battery life, perform fine in flight. Is frustratingly under powered and slow.
Samsung A7 Lite - A bit too large and almost as under powered as the Lenovo. Thought it would be a great upgrade, but used it for 2 flights and went back to my M8.
ALLDOCUBE iPlay50 Mini Pro - Almost same size as M8, but massively more power and I now enjoy doing planning on it. Also have a SIM card option. 

I turn off all factory loaded stuff to make sure only my Aviation apps are installed, to have a nice and clean tablet setup.

RogerWilco77
R
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)
Hello,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 witch runs really nice with SD, however, the size at 10" is too large for many planes.
I use my Samsun Note 10+ in a ram mount holder in the cockpit. However, it is actually too small.
I am looking for something in between, probably 8".
Perhaps it would make sense if there was a table on experiences which tablet runs smoothly (with bright enough display) with Android and SD version?
I am afraid that a tablet that was ok 2 years ago might be outdated soon. Also except for apple, there seem to be no new products since 2020.

Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)
177 - 11/20/2021 4:28:11 PM

You may want to give a look at Alldocube iPlay 40 on Aliexpress. For the price of Apple pencil you will get a real snappy tablet with 8 gigs of RAM, 128GB storage and very bright (I think it's over 400 nit) and vivid IPS display. It runs YouTube 4k vids without stuttering.
The tablet has some old navigation chip (gps-only), but I personally don't use built-in navigation anymore and I recommend you to build a Stratux EU to receive/transmit traffic information and get a reliable position indication as well (via ublox M8N chip).

Correction to my previous. Yesterday I had some spare time to play with settings. The tablet actually has modern GNSS chip that can run on 4 different satellite constellations (3 at a time via the *#*#2266#*#* engineering menu): GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BeiDou.
You won't find anything better for 150EUR.

RainerM
R
Too Much Forum (127 reputation)Too Much Forum (127 reputation)Too Much Forum (127 reputation)Too Much Forum (127 reputation)Too Much Forum (127 reputation)Too Much Forum (127 reputation)Too Much Forum (127 reputation)Too Much Forum (127 reputation)Too Much Forum (127 reputation)
I bought a Huawei T3 and a 128M memory card.
The problem is that Huawei does NOT combine the internal and memory card storage into one.
This means that I always have little storage space, because SkyDemon can only use the internal memory.
And that is also used by other applications.

So I would definitely NOT recommend using Huawei.

Csongor
C
Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)
KimW - 11/18/2021 9:11:40 PM
I use Lenovo M8. Perfect size, very long battery life (have seen +7 hours flight time with SD without needing external power source) and low price on the plus side. A bit slow for planning in the device, but have had no issues in flight using internal GPS.  Use my phone as hotspot to get data access on ground and if needed in air.

I have looked at iPad but just don't find price value reasonable and seems there is issues with battery life and overheating, as high performance in small formfactor has it's drawbacks.

Hope you find what works for you.

+1

I'm also using a Lenovo Tab M8 FHD and it's a great little tablet for a reasonable price. Almost the same size as an iPad mini, so it will fit in most of the holders and cradles made for the iPad.

Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)
diogofcr - 11/25/2021 1:13:18 PM
Johannes B. - 11/20/2021 1:24:05 PM

I just opted for the Samsung Tab 3 Actice, which is the best Android tablet for this purpose at the moment.
Rugged and waterproof, quick hardware, Android 12 ready, pen and case included, great size (8") and bright screen... with exchangeable battery...

Nice! I will have a look. Thank you

It us much more expensive than what you were looking for, but tablets for 200 Euro are too slow for smooth planning operation and the screens are mostly not suitable for bright sunlight ops.

YouTube channel
diogofcr
d
Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)
Johannes B. - 11/20/2021 1:24:05 PM

I just opted for the Samsung Tab 3 Actice, which is the best Android tablet for this purpose at the moment.
Rugged and waterproof, quick hardware, Android 12 ready, pen and case included, great size (8") and bright screen... with exchangeable battery...

Nice! I will have a look. Thank you

Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)Too Much Forum (487 reputation)

You may want to give a look at Alldocube iPlay 40 on Aliexpress. For the price of Apple pencil you will get a real snappy tablet with 8 gigs of RAM, 128GB storage and very bright (I think it's over 400 nit) and vivid IPS display. It runs YouTube 4k vids without stuttering.
The tablet has some old navigation chip (gps-only), but I personally don't use built-in navigation anymore and I recommend you to build a Stratux EU to receive/transmit traffic information and get a reliable position indication as well (via ublox M8N chip).
Edited 11/20/2021 4:40:15 PM by 177
Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)

YouTube channel
diogofcr
d
Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)
KimW - 11/18/2021 9:11:40 PM
I use Lenovo M8. Perfect size, very long battery life (have seen +7 hours flight time with SD without needing external power source) and low price on the plus side. A bit slow for planning in the device, but have had no issues in flight using internal GPS.  Use my phone as hotspot to get data access on ground and if needed in air.

I have looked at iPad but just don't find price value reasonable and seems there is issues with battery life and overheating, as high performance in small formfactor has it's drawbacks.

Hope you find what works for you.

Nice!! And seems like a good price, I will have a look. Thank you!

My problem with ipads is the price :/

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search