SkyDemon Forums

Choosing Android Tablet

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic34259.aspx

By 177 - 12/30/2021 10:24:36 AM

177 - 11/20/2021 4:28:11 PM

You may want to give a look at Alldocube iPlay 40 on Aliexpress. For the price of Apple pencil you will get a real snappy tablet with 8 gigs of RAM, 128GB storage and very bright (I think it's over 400 nit) and vivid IPS display. It runs YouTube 4k vids without stuttering.
The tablet has some old navigation chip (gps-only), but I personally don't use built-in navigation anymore and I recommend you to build a Stratux EU to receive/transmit traffic information and get a reliable position indication as well (via ublox M8N chip).

Correction to my previous. Yesterday I had some spare time to play with settings. The tablet actually has modern GNSS chip that can run on 4 different satellite constellations (3 at a time via the *#*#2266#*#* engineering menu): GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BeiDou.
You won't find anything better for 150EUR.
By diogofcr - 11/17/2021 6:21:44 PM

Hi everybody, I wanna start using Sky Demon and I need a new tablet. I wanna know what to buy.

I know the ipad is probably the best choice, my problem is the price....

I need one with GPS (ofc) and 200 euros max. Can you please help?
By RogerWilco77 - 8/29/2022 12:39:04 PM

Hello,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 witch runs really nice with SD, however, the size at 10" is too large for many planes.
I use my Samsun Note 10+ in a ram mount holder in the cockpit. However, it is actually too small.
I am looking for something in between, probably 8".
Perhaps it would make sense if there was a table on experiences which tablet runs smoothly (with bright enough display) with Android and SD version?
I am afraid that a tablet that was ok 2 years ago might be outdated soon. Also except for apple, there seem to be no new products since 2020.
By KimW - 5/5/2024 5:34:40 PM

After trying 3 Android tablets I finally found one I really like. 
Lenovo M8 - perfect size, long battery life, perform fine in flight. Is frustratingly under powered and slow.
Samsung A7 Lite - A bit too large and almost as under powered as the Lenovo. Thought it would be a great upgrade, but used it for 2 flights and went back to my M8.
ALLDOCUBE iPlay50 Mini Pro - Almost same size as M8, but massively more power and I now enjoy doing planning on it. Also have a SIM card option. 

I turn off all factory loaded stuff to make sure only my Aviation apps are installed, to have a nice and clean tablet setup.