Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Altitute Information in exported flight plan

Author
H
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I am using SkyDemon to plan a VFR flight to be performed in Microsoft Flight Simulator. One of the most important features for me is to set safe altitutes for each waypoint to circumvent entering restricted airspace.

I can export the flightplan created in SkyDemon to .fpl and use an online tool to convert this into the .pln format, which I can import into MSFS as well as an application called Pilot2ATC.

However, I have now figured out that the .fpl file created by SkyVector does not contain the altitute information of the waypoints, but only lat and long information. Example:

<waypoint>
  <identifier>MISC1</identifier>
  <type>USER WAYPOINT</type>
  <country-code />
  <lat>50.264950</lat>
  <lon>12.951460</lon>
  <comment />
</waypoint>

Therefore I have to re-enter the altitute information for each waypoint in Pilot2ATC, which is a lot of work.

Not sure if this is a limitation of the garmin fpl format, but I found this the only export option in SkyDemon that I could convert to anything I can import to MSFS and Pilot2ATC.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get the full flight plan from SkyDemon over to the other applications?

Edited 10/30/2021 10:52:27 AM by Hero77
BJS
B
Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)
AFAIR, the altitude information is put at the waypoints where the level change takes place. Did you check making a flight plan and introduce a level change at a waypoint? If I remember correctly, this was also taken by the Garmin equipment, but it required at least one level change to get the altitude information into the .fpl - a plain single cruise level generates no altitude information in the .fpl by Garmin definition, if I remember correct.
Hero77
H
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Hi,

I think I did, unless I am doing something wrong. To illustrate, I have created very simple test route from EDLP to EDDL. I have introduced two additional waypoints MISC1 and MISC2 and changed the altitude by dragging the leg up in the Virtual Radar Screen:

Then, I went to Route > Save as... and exported the file as .fpl.

This is the resulting file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<flight-plan xmlns="http://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/FlightPlan/v1">
<created>2021-10-30T15:11:48Z</created>
<waypoint-table>
<waypoint>
<identifier>EDLP</identifier>
<type>AIRPORT</type>
<country-code>ED</country-code>
<lat>51.614080</lat>
<lon>8.616320</lon>
<comment />
</waypoint>
<waypoint>
<country-code />
<lat>51.506410</lat>
<lon>8.017436</lon>
<comment />
</waypoint>
<waypoint>
<identifier>MISC2</identifier>
<country-code />
<lat>51.389710</lat>
<lon>7.340399</lon>
<comment />
</waypoint>
<waypoint>
<identifier>EDDL</identifier>
<type>AIRPORT</type>
<lat>51.280930</lat>
<lon>6.757306</lon>
<comment />
</waypoint>
</waypoint-table>
<route>
<route-name>EDLP EDDL</route-name>
<flight-plan-index>1</flight-plan-index>
<route-point>
<waypoint-identifier>EDLP</waypoint-identifier>
<waypoint-type>AIRPORT</waypoint-type>
<waypoint-country-code>ED</waypoint-country-code>
</route-point>
<route-point>
<waypoint-identifier>MISC1</waypoint-identifier>
<waypoint-type>USER WAYPOINT</waypoint-type>
<waypoint-country-code />
</route-point>
<route-point>
<waypoint-identifier>MISC2</waypoint-identifier>
</route-point>
<route-point>
<waypoint-identifier>EDDL</waypoint-identifier>
</route-point>
</route>
</flight-plan>

Andreas
Andreas
Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)
Hero77 - 10/30/2021 3:19:38 PM
Hi,

I think I did, unless I am doing something wrong. To illustrate, I have created very simple test route from EDLP to EDDL. I have introduced two additional waypoints MISC1 and MISC2 and changed the altitude by dragging the leg up in the Virtual Radar Screen:

Then, I went to Route > Save as... and exported the file as .fpl.

This is the resulting file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<flight-plan xmlns="http://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/FlightPlan/v1">
<created>2021-10-30T15:11:48Z</created>
<waypoint-table>
<waypoint>
<identifier>EDLP</identifier>
<type>AIRPORT</type>
<lat>51.614080</lat>
<lon>8.616320</lon>
<comment />
</waypoint>
<waypoint>
<country-code />
<lat>51.506410</lat>
<lon>8.017436</lon>
<comment />
</waypoint>
<waypoint>
<identifier>MISC2</identifier>
<country-code />
<lat>51.389710</lat>
<lon>7.340399</lon>
<comment />
</waypoint>
<waypoint>
<identifier>EDDL</identifier>
<type>AIRPORT</type>
<lat>51.280930</lat>
<lon>6.757306</lon>
<comment />
</waypoint>
</waypoint-table>
<route>
<route-name>EDLP EDDL</route-name>
<flight-plan-index>1</flight-plan-index>
<route-point>
<waypoint-identifier>EDLP</waypoint-identifier>
</route-point>
<route-point>
<waypoint-identifier>MISC1</waypoint-identifier>
</route-point>
<route-point>
<waypoint-identifier>MISC2</waypoint-identifier>
</route-point>
<route-point>
<waypoint-identifier>EDDL</waypoint-identifier>
</route-point>
</route>
</flight-plan>

If your conversion tool deals with gpx format, you may use this instead. It is containg altitude information.

Hero77
H
Andreas - 10/31/2021 1:28:51 PM

If your conversion tool deals with gpx format, you may use this instead. It is containg altitude information.

Unforunately, it doesn´t. 

This is the tool I found and it only supports .fpl, .fms and .pln:
https://fpc.kognise.dev

The only tool I found that supports gpx and exports to pln is this one, but the it seems to support only an outdated version of the pln format, which is not compatible to the other apps: 
http://www.flightutilities.com/

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I don't think the .fpl format supports vertical planning so that information is not exported along with your route, when you save from SkyDemon.
Hero77
H
Tim Dawson - 11/1/2021 10:21:04 AM
I don't think the .fpl format supports vertical planning so that information is not exported along with your route, when you save from SkyDemon.

According to the garmin XSD schema, its possible to include the waypoint elevation like this:

<waypoint>
<country-code />
<lat>51.509290</lat>
<lon>8.374783</lon>
     <elevation>2000</elevation>
<comment />
</waypoint>

"Elevation (in meters) of the waypoint. This value is ignored by panel mount devices."
https://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/FlightPlanv1.xsd

However it does not say if it's supposed to indicate only ground elevation or also waypoint height in the air. Also upon testing I found that this information does not get carried over to the .pln or .fms flightplans when converted with the web tool.

Edited 11/1/2021 12:06:21 PM by Hero77
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search