Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Geo referrenced charts - what does a chart need to be geo referenced in SD?

Geo referrenced charts - what does a chart need to be geo referenced...
Author
S
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
it just came to my attention, that on the eurocontrol DFS (german) airports i checked so far, does not have georeferenced departure/arrival charts avialble.
Due to the lack of rotating the pdf view on iOS, the geoerference overlay was a very good way to have landscape charts usable (and of the course the great increase of situational awareness).
So my question is: As far as I read here in the forum: Getting the charts geo-ref, was a manual process for each single chart. Is it sill like that?
Do you plan to get all PDFs that are to scale as geo-refs?
Is there anything that can be done to support you in that?

It would really like to use SD for my IFR Flights, but I don't feel comfortable having charts the wrong way on the display. And rotating the iPad is not an option, due to space (or better the lack of it) and I am running SD in split view with the IFD100 in IFR.

Cheers
Marco

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
Generally we need graticules around the outside of the chart showing latitudes and longitudes, OR a known location on the map plus scale and rotation.
Schildaero
S
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Sure, understood.
The (at least german DFS) departure charts seems support these information ( I just had a short check on EDDE, EDDR, EDLN). For Example:

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
Ah, apologies, I should have said that we do not georeference SID and STAR charts currently.
Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)
How does it work in the case of multi-page charts? For example, the SkyGuide LSZH "Airfield Chart/Info" has both AD INFO 1 & 2 with this information, and SkyDemon shows AD INFO 1 as an overlay. Is there a way to display AD INFO 2 as an overlay too?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
This will be the decision of the person who georeferences that particular document, assuming it's all actually able to be georeferenced. If you contact support they will be able to advise.
BJS
B
Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)
Schildaero - 8/24/2021 9:40:30 PM
Hi,
it just came to my attention, that on the eurocontrol DFS (german) airports i checked so far, does not have georeferenced departure/arrival charts avialble.
Due to the lack of rotating the pdf view on iOS, the geoerference overlay was a very good way to have landscape charts usable (and of the course the great increase of situational awareness).
So my question is: As far as I read here in the forum: Getting the charts geo-ref, was a manual process for each single chart. Is it sill like that?

It would really like to use SD for my IFR Flights, but I don't feel comfortable having charts the wrong way on the display. And rotating the iPad is not an option, due to space (or better the lack of it) and I am running SD in split view with the IFD100 in IFR.

Cheers
Marco

To get an idea install the PC Plan version and have a look at the folder with the georef documents, you'll find out how easy it is.

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)Too Much Forum (403 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/25/2021 9:18:40 AM
OR a known location on the map plus scale and rotation.

apparently, this is not the case according to SkyDemon support. It MUST be the airport reference point on the chart which I find extremely strange provided there are tons of other known reference points available within the chart boundary :/

BJS
B
Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)Too Much Forum (175 reputation)
Adam Erchegyi - 1/7/2022 3:36:41 PM
Tim Dawson - 8/25/2021 9:18:40 AM
OR a known location on the map plus scale and rotation.

apparently, this is not the case according to SkyDemon support. It MUST be the airport reference point on the chart which I find extremely strange provided there are tons of other known reference points available within the chart boundary :/

That sounds strange indeed, especially since other competitors opened up the methods in the meantime and there are no others claiming that restriction.

Schildaero
S
BJS - 1/7/2022 12:18:10 PM
Schildaero - 8/24/2021 9:40:30 PM
Hi,

Cheers
Marco

To get an idea install the PC Plan version and have a look at the folder with the georef documents, you'll find out how easy it is.

After some googeling, I am not sure which application you mean: Could you provide a link to the application mentioned?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search