Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Obstacle madness O.o

Author
M
Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I really like using my stratux.
I think everyone feels better when they know where other planes are in the air.
I like to meet other pilots, but please not unexpectedly from the left or right when I fly.... Smile
I would like to be able to separate the obstacle warnings and the aircraft warnings better in the settings. Or turn off the obstacle warnings.
I am shown millions of windmills that I get over several minutes in a row when I fly over the Eggegebirge. But I would also like to know well in advance if somewhere on my flight path are other aircraft. Just for safety. I can now only set obstacles and aircraft the same distance.

Greetings Markus

1.000.000 warning signals in this area over several minutes

Edited 8/13/2021 6:45:40 AM by Markus117
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Sorry, it isn't clear to me exactly what you are asking for. I appreciate that you're receiving lots of warnings about obstacles but it sounds like that's because you're flying quite close to lots of obstacles.
Markus117
M
Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)Too Much Forum (78 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/16/2021 9:48:48 AM
Sorry, it isn't clear to me exactly what you are asking for. I appreciate that you're receiving lots of warnings about obstacles but it sounds like that's because you're flying quite close to lots of obstacles.

Hi Tim,
when i flying to Paderborn, I have to fly below 2500ft because of airspace Charlie.
Maybe I am doing something wrong as well.
I'll try to explain again.

---Warn about Obstructions:---
Warning Time: 3min
Vertical Clearance: 1000ft
Abeam clearance: 3,0 nm.

Unfortunately, these settings are valid for all obstructions.

When I fly my Stratux and am warned about traffic. Does it do so with the same clearances. Is it possible to have different settings for traffic warnings and obstacle warnings?
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Markus117 - 8/16/2021 1:15:11 PM

Hi Tim,
when i flying to Paderborn, I have to fly below 2500ft because of airspace Charlie.

When I fly my Stratux and am warned about traffic. Does it do so with the same clearances. Is it possible to have different settings for traffic warnings and obstacle warnings?

You can switch off Skydemon’s obstacle warnings, based on its knowledge of their position, with a simple toggle. 

If, however all of these obstacles have an ADS-B beacon on the top of them, and your Stratux is detecting them, then SD will see them as traffic. Is that your issue?

Markus117
M
grahamb - 8/16/2021 2:16:41 PM
Markus117 - 8/16/2021 1:15:11 PM

Hi Tim,

You can switch off Skydemon’s obstacle warnings, based on its knowledge of their position, with a simple toggle. 

If, however all of these obstacles have an ADS-B beacon on the top of them, and your Stratux is detecting them, then SD will see them as traffic. Is that your issue?

Hi grahamb,
in any case, i want to be warned. This is always essential for me because I am a very forward-looking pilot and do not want to endanger myself or others.
But i want obstacles like windmills and traffic warnings to not have the same settings.
For example:

--Warn about Obstructions (Windmills):---
Warning Time: 1min
Vertical Clearance: 500ft
Abeam clearance: 1,0 nm.

--Warn about traffic:---
Warning Time: 2min
Vertical Clearance: 2000ft
Abeam clearance: 5,0 nm.

I hope you understand what I mean.

greetings Markus

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Traffic warnings in SkyDemon are complex and dependent on many factors. There are no user-adjustable settings for them. If you think you're receiving one inappropriately, you'll need to let us know the details of the scenario. You did not answer Graham's question about beacons on the obstacles.
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I have never heard about ADS-B beacons on obstacle.
Is this common in Europe/UK?

Tony

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Tony N - 8/18/2021 9:48:01 AM
I have never heard about ADS-B beacons on obstacle.
Is this common in Europe/UK?

Tony

There are a number of ADS-B out emitter categories avaiilable for both surface vehicles and different type of obstacle.

I don't know whether they are used in Germany or not, hence my question to the OP. If they are, meeting his requirement would have to be addressed via changes to either or both Stratus and SD code. If not, he can already do what he needs within SkyDemon by tweaking the Obstacle proximity settings.

BJS
B
Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)
These obstacle warnings will become much more prominent in the next future and yes, they are a problem for our anti-collision systems flying VFR. Wind mills are increasingly using anti-collision 1090/1030MHz and 868MHz(FLARM) transmitter to announce their position electronically - for aircraft and especially in preparation to the large drone cloud expected. There already is an initiative of authorities and private companies to further look into it. For a current German discussion see i.e. Pilotundflugzeug magazine 2021-05 page 26ff and check https://www.lanthan-safe-sky.com for the technology coming.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search