Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyEcho not showing other traffic

Author
A
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I finally had a chance to get back in the air this week.
I connected up my Sky Echo to my ipad mini, via wi-fi, running Skydemon and set it up for the 172 I was flying. I have also purchased the Flarm addition to Skydemon.
We flew from a 77nm leg and saw several aircrft on that route, obviously I have no idea if any of them were showing ADS-B out.
At no time did I see any aeroplane icons on my ipad screen. I did get one warning of a target at my 11 o'clock, 100 feet below, I was not quick enough to note the range before the message disappeared.
When I returned i checked the configuration box on the Skydemon menu. Under statistics it says 10 ADS-B Aircraft Received, 0 Flarm Aircraft decoded.
Should I have seen aircraft icons on my screen? If so what was I doing wrong, please.
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Airborn,

Is your SE2 located in the best possible position for detecting other aircraft?
Also, are you flying in UK or elsewhere?

SD won't produce warnings or display aircraft if they aren't a threat to you.
Tony

Airborn
A
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Tony N - 6/20/2021 8:15:45 AM
Airborn,

Tony

Thanks for that Tony

I fly a 172 in the southern England. I mount the unit in the front window beside the panel, so it has a clear view of the sky. Other mounting suggestions welcome. 

I had assumed, wronngly it appears, that if it "saw" other aircraft it would display them on screen. 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Airborn - 6/21/2021 8:07:56 AM
Tony N - 6/20/2021 8:15:45 AM
Airborn,

Tony

Thanks for that Tony

I fly a 172 in the southern England. I mount the unit in the front window beside the panel, so it has a clear view of the sky. Other mounting suggestions welcome. 

I had assumed, wronngly it appears, that if it "saw" other aircraft it would display them on screen. 
I'd check the altitude filter in the SkyDemon Traffic settings.

Open it up to something like +-30000' and see if you see airliners on the SD chart; if so then reduce it to something sensible like +-2000'.

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Airborn,
I also fly in southern England and think my SE2 is positioned in a very good location.
It is located above me and has a good unrestricted view forward and, probably, 70-80 deg either side of "straight ahead".
Typically, on a good flying day, I may only detect a few ADS-B Out aircraft and one or two FLARM targets if gliders are about.
You won't "see" all the commercial ADS-B traffic high above you.

If you also use your SE2 to transmit ADS-B Out you can check it out using the PAW vector application.

This gives a good indication (over a few flights)  as to whether your SE2 is positioned in a good location and not masked by crew, engine or other metal bits of your 172.
Tony

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search