Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

VFR cruising altitudes in the Flight Details window

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm not actually aware of people picking these x500 altitudes to fly VFR here in the UK. Is this a regional thing?
Hetzenauer
H
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
No, it‘s not a regional thing, it‘s the law. ICAO Annex 2 states so, and that‘s what the European rule says - actually word-by-word.
So, when flying VFR, it´s not only a good idea to select these altitudes as SERA.5005 (g) and Appendix 3 state that you should fly at 3500 ft rather than 3000ft or 5500 ft rather than 5000ft - FL75 rather than FL70.
Best, Björn
Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
To answer Tim’s question correctly:
It’s a regional thing. The region is called Europe ;-))
Hetzenauer
H
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
To be exactly clear: the region is worldwide as it‘s an ICAO standard for collision avoidance since the beginning of the Cold War 😉
Just kiddin‘, no offense!!
Best Björn
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
That is simply not how people fly VFR in the vast majority of flights. Presumably you're referring to long-distance touring VFR?
Hetzenauer
H
Tim Dawson - 6/3/2021 9:48:56 AM
That is simply not how people fly VFR in the vast majority of flights.

Excuse me, but I cannot agree.
However, I have understood you don´t want to change the settings here - well, it´s your business, you know...
Please understand me as I´m unsubscribing to this thread now... *KOPFSCHÜTTELUNDWECH*
So long, Björn

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
Hi Tim,
I cannot agree to your „arguments“ too.
As a professional tool, SD shall be based on the legislation and not on pilots mentioned, who have obviously not received a sufficient theory training.
For your convenience, I provide the link to the official text:

bashope
b
Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)
Gerhard66 - 6/4/2021 6:55:32 PM
Hi Tim,
I cannot agree to your „arguments“ too.
As a professional tool, SD shall be based on the legislation and not on pilots mentioned, who have obviously not received a sufficient theory training.
For your convenience, I provide the link to the official text:

How (some) pilots don't know about this, is beyond me.

Here in Germany, if you fly above transition altitude (which I hope all pilots know what it is) of 5000 ft, you should follow the semi-circular rules as you have shared.

Of course, typically, VFR pilots in Germany will fly in Class E, which even though is "controlled" airspace, 2-way communication is not mandatory, so I guess some pilots will not know and not care about the assigned flight levels which one should fly at, but I'm really surprised to hear someone saying they don't know of anyone who complies...

*On the other hand*, we are talking about flight levels here, not altitudes. So even if I would appreciate being able to choose the appropriate "altitude" that I would like to fly at, it would have to be converted to Flight Level, so I assume SkyDemon would need to constantly check the local QNH and convert to Flight Level, by taking the "real" altitude from GPS? I agree it sounds complicated, so in my mind there are 2 options... either doing it properly, getting the laws from each region, and providing a proper suggestion to the pilot, or not having anything at all and just allowing manual input. But indeed the suggestions as they are today are totally useless (to me).

Gerhard66
G
As well known, here on the continent we drive on the wrong side 😉, but at least in the air, we do have the same rules as in the UK.
In my opinion it is irresponsible to warp the majority of (VFR) SD users into flying in altitudes reserved for IFR traffic. 

TXR
T
Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)
Gerhard66 - 5/30/2021 8:12:32 AM

2. The picklist should also pop up when changing the altitude in the leg properties menu.
I need this much more often than the general cruise altitude setting in the route menu. 

You can just drag a segment to a new altitude in the profile view at the bottom

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search