Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Reversion to internal GPS - can we have an automatic option?

Author
Cat Burton
Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)Too Much Forum (184 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all

With the new reversion to internal GPS feature, I find that, especially when teaching, I’m still seeing device connection lost 350 seconds ago or some such. 

Would it be possible to have a setting to allow automatic reversion as I’m obviously missing the touch flag to allow temporary reversion. 

Thanks

Cat

Cat Burton
SFI
Aeros Cardiff
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I think in the other thread where this feature was proposed, we outlined our concerns about making this automatic. I think it's not helpful to automatically revert to location services, losing traffic reception, which is why I want the user to have to opt in to it. Hopefully the fact we now support this failure mode at all is helpful, I just don't want to make it fully automatic at this stage.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this feature, while designed to make life easier for our users, is essentially easing the pain of a failing third-party product. If your traffic receiver is failing that often, I would seriously consider raising the issue with its manufacturer.

Peer
Peer
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Well Tim, i love  the new option and yes, you are right. Safety First. But i wuold prefere a optional (!) automatic switch too. I think it ist a good Idea to make it a decision of the PIC?
Apart from this i would like to see a warning Icon when in  local mode.
What do you think?

Peer
Peer
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/10/2021 10:05:08 AM
I think in the other thread where this feature was proposed, we outlined our concerns about making this automatic. I think it's not helpful to automatically revert to location services, losing traffic reception, which is why I want the user to have to opt in to it. Hopefully the fact we now support this failure mode at all is helpful, I just don't want to make it fully automatic at this stage.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this feature, while designed to make life easier for our users, is essentially easing the pain of a failing third-party product. If your traffic receiver is failing that often, I would seriously consider raising the issue with its manufacturer.

Well, maybe you are right but why not let the PIC decide what is better for his security?
For a better securitiy i would like to see a warning icon when in "local mode"

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search