Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Audio alerts in ‘Simulate’ mode but not when ‘Go Flying’

Author
D
Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Using SkyDemon v3.15.1 on an IPad Ai:r 2 IOS 14.4.1, linked via Bluetooth to Bose A20’s and PilotAware Rosetta, I had no audio warnings.

I had checked before leaving home via simulate and all worked ok. After I landed, whilst still at the airfield, I did ‘Go Fly’ which showed other traffic ok in the radar but no audio warnings. Tried simulate there again and all ok, but when in flying mode no audio.
Back home again now and simulate still gives me audio warnings, but I have no warnings in go flying as nothing close enough to warn me about on the ground, so can’t easily test.

Any ideas ? Comms to to headset is obviously ok as it works in simulate, so I’m assuming something is different in SkyDemon from an audio perspective in GoFly mode.
Kind regards
Darren
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Dorgand - 4/18/2021 5:30:56 PM

Using SkyDemon v3.15.1 on an IPad Ai:r 2 IOS 14.4.1, linked via Bluetooth to Bose A20’s and PilotAware Rosetta, I had no audio warnings.

I had checked before leaving home via simulate and all worked ok. After I landed, whilst still at the airfield, I did ‘Go Fly’ which showed other traffic ok in the radar but no audio warnings. Tried simulate there again and all ok, but when in flying mode no audio.
Back home again now and simulate still gives me audio warnings, but I have no warnings in go flying as nothing close enough to warn me about on the ground, so can’t easily test.

Any ideas ? Comms to to headset is obviously ok as it works in simulate, so I’m assuming something is different in SkyDemon from an audio perspective in GoFly mode.
Kind regards
Darren

Did you get the 'Entering Runway' warnings? Remember that SD only warns you if it considers that the target traffic is a threat or likely to become one.

Dorgand
D
Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)
Hi
No, I got no audio warnings at all from SkyDemon, so no airspace warnings, obstacles, runway or traffic.   They were popping up on the screen, but no audio beeps or speech (both of which are turned on in the SD settings and work ok in simulate).
I did 2 flights, with nothing, and on the ground (busy airfield) traffic on the SD radar was red and in the high threat area (I was parked and they're coming into land), but still.nothing.
I've been using SD for a couple of years with PilotAware, taking the audioout from PAW and wired into my headphones, but just switched to the Bose A20's and audio output from SD so I get the more intelligent traffic warnings  and get to hear the audio for other warnings from SD.   It works as I'd expect from Simulate mode, but not a peep in GoFlying.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Dorgand - 4/18/2021 7:17:18 PM
Hi
No, I got no audio warnings at all from SkyDemon, so no airspace warnings, obstacles, runway or traffic.   They were popping up on the screen, but no audio beeps or speech (both of which are turned on in the SD settings and work ok in simulate).
I did 2 flights, with nothing, and on the ground (busy airfield) traffic on the SD radar was red and in the high threat area (I was parked and they're coming into land), but still.nothing.
I've been using SD for a couple of years with PilotAware, taking the audioout from PAW and wired into my headphones, but just switched to the Bose A20's and audio output from SD so I get the more intelligent traffic warnings  and get to hear the audio for other warnings from SD.   It works as I'd expect from Simulate mode, but not a peep in GoFlying.

You are sure your headset is connecting to your navigation tablet, and not another device you might have on board?

Dorgand
D
grahamb - 4/18/2021 9:41:09 PM
[quote]
Dorgand - 4/18/2021 7:17:18 PM

Yes... the volume control on the Bose A20's was turning the volume on the ipad up and down... you could see the onscreen volume bar moving.

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Dorgand,

I think you are getting a bit confused. Your iPad would be (or at least should have been) connected by WiFi to Rosetta - which then feeds position and traffic data to the iPad and hence to SkyDemon via the PilotAware WiFi link. SkyDemon then uses this data to provide your Navigation position (provided you have selected ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’). SD determines ITS OWN Positional Warnings (such as for Runway incursion and Airspace proximity) from its own database. It also uses the traffic data passed to it by PilotAware to generate ITS OWN ‘intelligent’ traffic alerts for known position traffic. It does NOT receive audio traffic warnings from PilotAware. (These are ONLY generated by PilotAware via its own Bluetooth or on the Rosetta’s Audio Output Socket).

You can connect your Bluetooth Headsets to EITHER PilotAware Rosetta (for PilotAware audio warnings) OR to SkyDemon via your iPad, for SkyDemon Audio Warnings, but NOT TO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. You could in theory use an Audio Mixer to combine the two audio feeds - but you would then need to add a Bluetooth transmitter to the output from the Mixer and connect your headset directly to that Bluetooth source - which I have never tried. I personally use a hard-wired Connection from both Rosetta and SkyDemon via an audio mixer to obtain these combined alerts, which are then fed by hard-wire to my headsets via my intercom.

I hope this helps clarify the setup, though it doesn’t explain why you are not getting audio alerts from SkyDemon in ‘Live Flying Mode’ . I note that you say you HAVE checked and selected ‘Produce Speech for Warnings’ in SkyDemon / Navigation Options.

Regards
Peter
(PilotAware Development Team)

Edited 4/19/2021 8:42:26 AM by Peter Robertson
Dorgand
D
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply.
BTW ... I’m a massive fan of PAW and got both syndicates I’m in to purchase one each (and I have my own).   Also a huge fan of SD
Sorry if my explanation was not clear enough, but I do understand the difference between the PAW audio output versus SD, with PAW giving a ‘Traffic’ like service without understanding the threat, and SD using TCAS like algorithms to only warn as the threat becomes significant enough.    My initial setup from a couple of years ago was to have the audio output from PAW through an amp, and into effectively a Y lead on my headset.   That worked well apart from the wires, and also that I wouldn’t get any other audio warnings from SD, which was my reason to link the A20’s via BT to my iPad, as I then would receive the beeps/pings from SD, and only traffic info when it becomes a threat (I also like the radar on SD).
Using SkyDemon’s ‘Simulate’ mode, and ‘Spawn aircraft’ demonstrates this very well.
Yesterday was very odd though as there was absolutely no audio from SD through the BT headset when I was flying (not just threats of traffic, but SD normally gives a visual and audio warning (previously the audio though was from the iPad speaker) when I enter an ATZ, MATZ, obstacles etc.    Yesterday only visual warnings on the iPad, yet the A20s were definitely connected to the iPad as I could control the iPad volume from the A20 buttons, and when I disconnect from the A20’s and reconnect, it shows ‘A20 connected’

I know I could connect via BT to the PaW, but I want the SD audio only (so I get SD warnings of airspace etc and only traffic threats).    My other challenge is that the PAW is shared amongst a few of us, so not sure on the max limit of BT connections on PAW is (it would only be 1 concurrent connection), but this doesn’t give me functionally what I’m after.

As I say, in SD simulate mode, it works exactly as I would expect, I just can’t test GoFlying from home.   Tried from home last night, but no warnings SD wanted to give, and no traffic near enough to be considered a threat on SD... maybe I’ll drive near an airfield in the car Smile.

Kind regards 

Darren

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi Darren,

All understood. Sorry, I HAD read the bit about your previous (wired) PAW audio use and tried to edit my post to reflect this, but was caught by the ‘can’t re-post (or edit) within 10 minutes’ time-bar.

Just to be completely clear - Are you saying you ARE getting SD audio on your A20s via Bluetooth when you select ‘Simulated flight’ both in the aircraft and at home, Just not when you select ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’ (or ‘Go Flying - Use GDL90 Compatible Device’ if you have this option checked in Third Party Options in SD)?
Dorgand
D
Peter Robertson - 4/19/2021 9:47:42 AM
Hi Darren,All understood. Sorry, I HAD read the bit about your previous (wired) PAW audio use and tried to edit my post to reflect this, but was caught by the ‘can’t re-post (or edit) within 10 minutes’ time-bar.Just to be completely clear - Are you saying you ARE getting SD audio on your A20s via Bluetooth when you select ‘Simulated flight’ both in the aircraft and at home, Just not when you select ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’ (or ‘Go Flying - Use GDL90 Compatible Device’ if you have this option checked in Third Party Options in SD)?

Hi Peter,

Thanks again for an amazingly quick reply .... yes, as you said, I am getting  audio on my A20s via Bluetooth when I select ‘Simulated flight’ both in the aircraft and at home, Just not when I select ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware.   I get the traffic from PAW shown on the map in SD, and the SD radar shows the traffic, so SD is communicating with PAW ok.   It’s also not just the absence of traffic audio threats from SD but any audio, but only in GoFlying, not simulate .... very odd.

My background is in software development, and I’ve built a few things on RPi’s (latest in Python interfacing to some zigbee wireless sensors and a BT speaker) so like to think I’m reasonably technical .... having said that, this is where we discover I’ve been completely stupid and missed the obvious LOL 😀

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
There's no difference as far as SkyDemon is concerned between the simulator and Go Flying mode.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search