Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyEcho2 / SkyDemon not always seeing another aircraft when starting up on the ground

SkyEcho2 / SkyDemon not always seeing another aircraft when starting...
Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Paul, the location of aircraft on the ground can be useful. If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I mentioned that we ignore such aircraft for the purposes of generating alerts.
Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
That sounds extremely sensible to me Tim. Best of both worlds compromise - you can see any Aircraft taxiing which might inadvertently encroach onto the runway, but are not distracted by unnecessary (audio or other) ‘warnings’.

Regards

Peter
skinnyc
s
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

I’ll try and explain but I think you’ve answered my question anyway: SkyDemon will display aircraft that are transmitting “on the ground” ADSB signal.

The scenario:

2 aircraft on the ground.
Both stationary.
Both using a SkyEcho2 with SkyDemon.
They will each see each other on the SkyDemon display (but not themselves on their own SkyDemon display).

If I’ve got that wrong then please correct me.

Cheers,

Chris
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Sounds right to me.
skinnyc
s
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)
So, the next question (for Tim) related to this:

If a user of SkyDemon and SkyEcho2 has not set the aircraft profiles up to be identical in both SkyDemon and SkyEcho (a common one is to forget hex code in SkyDemon setup), a warning is presented in SkyDemon stating that aircraft do not match.

If a user dismisses that warning and continues to use the SkyEcho2 and SkyDemon for their flight, how is the display of their aircraft treated in SkyDemon by other SkyDemon / SkyEcho2 users? Is it ignored (not shown)? Is it still shown?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
That's down to your SkyEcho 2 configuration. Perhaps it's worth reading the manual for that product? SkyDemon warns you about possible configuration mismatches but it's your responsibility to make sure your SkyEcho 2 device(s) are set up to transmit the correct details for your aircraft.

If you had your current aircraft in SkyDemon set up with a certain hex code, but that was incorrect, then a potential problem would be that SkyDemon would ignore any reports of traffic with that hex code. Because it would think it was getting a report of the aircraft you're flying. So it is important to get that right.

skinnyc
s
Hi Tim,

"That's down to your SkyEcho 2 configuration. Perhaps it's worth reading the manual for that product?
I have read the SkyEcho2 manual and configured SkyEcho2 correctly.

My issue is / was with SkyDemon and the way it displays aircraft when using SkyEcho. More specifically trying to debug an issue.

The SkyDemon manual I have read too. It doesn't say that the details of the aircraft being used in SkyDemon must explicitly match those of the SykEcho. Yes you get a warning message when you "Go Flying", but several users I know have just ignored the warning for a couple of reasons:

- In SkyDemon they had not set a Hex code. This is because they had never needed to set a Hex code. Therefore it was left empty / unset. This is what happened to me too.

- Then when they got the warning they couldn't figured out what the issue was. This was my case too. I had my Hex code in SkyDemon empty and hadn't realised that this needed to be set.

- The next thing that compounded the issue was changing the Hex code on one SkyDemon device (for example iPhone) and not explicitly syncing the aircraft with the cloud after making the change. This meant when they used another device (for example iPad) for flying the Hex code was not updated in the aircraft setting being used. They needed to get the aircraft again from the cloud.

I'm putting the above info on this post as if it can happen to 5 or 6 different users that I know, it might help others who are also experiencing the same issues.

Cheers,

Chris

EHOW flyer
EHOW flyer
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
I suggest to show the aircraft (or airport vehicles) in 'ground mode' in a different color.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search