SkyDemon Forums

SkyEcho2 / SkyDemon not always seeing another aircraft when starting up on the ground

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic33199.aspx

By skinnyc - 4/27/2021 9:06:38 AM

Hi Tim,

"That's down to your SkyEcho 2 configuration. Perhaps it's worth reading the manual for that product?
I have read the SkyEcho2 manual and configured SkyEcho2 correctly.

My issue is / was with SkyDemon and the way it displays aircraft when using SkyEcho. More specifically trying to debug an issue.

The SkyDemon manual I have read too. It doesn't say that the details of the aircraft being used in SkyDemon must explicitly match those of the SykEcho. Yes you get a warning message when you "Go Flying", but several users I know have just ignored the warning for a couple of reasons:

- In SkyDemon they had not set a Hex code. This is because they had never needed to set a Hex code. Therefore it was left empty / unset. This is what happened to me too.

- Then when they got the warning they couldn't figured out what the issue was. This was my case too. I had my Hex code in SkyDemon empty and hadn't realised that this needed to be set.

- The next thing that compounded the issue was changing the Hex code on one SkyDemon device (for example iPhone) and not explicitly syncing the aircraft with the cloud after making the change. This meant when they used another device (for example iPad) for flying the Hex code was not updated in the aircraft setting being used. They needed to get the aircraft again from the cloud.

I'm putting the above info on this post as if it can happen to 5 or 6 different users that I know, it might help others who are also experiencing the same issues.

Cheers,

Chris
By skinnyc - 4/7/2021 11:40:52 AM

I've contacted uAvionix about this, and I'm waiting for a reply as I believe it's a SkyEcho2 problem. However, I thought I'd post the issue on here too just in case.

Here's the scenario:
2 aircraft on the ground right next to each other (less than 5m apart).
Both turn on their SkyEcho2 and SkyDemon at about the same time.
One aircraft can see the other on SkyDemon, the other can't.
Both aircraft can see other aircraft on SkyDemon.
The issue is still there once airborne.
It's not a time based issue - waiting does not fix it.
Turning off SkyEcho2 and turning it back on again fixes the issue.

It's not always happening.
A group of 4 aircraft also experienced the same issue in the scenario described above.
Other users have reported the same issue within my group of pilots. All with their own aircraft, SkyEcho2 and SkyDemon.

It does seem to be something to do with the aircraft being very close together when SkyEcho2 and SkyDemon are started up.
By EHOW flyer - 4/17/2022 8:35:46 AM

I suggest to show the aircraft (or airport vehicles) in 'ground mode' in a different color.