Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyEcho2 / SkyDemon not always seeing another aircraft when starting up on the ground

SkyEcho2 / SkyDemon not always seeing another aircraft when starting...
Author
s
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've contacted uAvionix about this, and I'm waiting for a reply as I believe it's a SkyEcho2 problem. However, I thought I'd post the issue on here too just in case.

Here's the scenario:
2 aircraft on the ground right next to each other (less than 5m apart).
Both turn on their SkyEcho2 and SkyDemon at about the same time.
One aircraft can see the other on SkyDemon, the other can't.
Both aircraft can see other aircraft on SkyDemon.
The issue is still there once airborne.
It's not a time based issue - waiting does not fix it.
Turning off SkyEcho2 and turning it back on again fixes the issue.

It's not always happening.
A group of 4 aircraft also experienced the same issue in the scenario described above.
Other users have reported the same issue within my group of pilots. All with their own aircraft, SkyEcho2 and SkyDemon.

It does seem to be something to do with the aircraft being very close together when SkyEcho2 and SkyDemon are started up.

EHOW flyer
EHOW flyer
Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)
Some questions:
  • Is the ADSB out function switched ON in Skyecho?
  • If one aircraft sees another, is this based on the ADSB function of Skyecho, or is the 'seen' aircraft also equipped with an Mode-S transponder with ADSB-out?
  • Is the ADSB LED blinking?
  •  Has the Skyecho moved to another aircraft without changing the HEX code belonging to the new aircraft? 
Remarks:
Aircraft not moving or moving below a preset speed in Skyecho will not transmit their position, so will not be seen by other Skyecho's.

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Is there any possibility of one aircraft's SD locking onto the other aircraft's SE2 WIFI signal, especially as they are in close proximity on the ground?

Doesn't explain why the issue is still there when airborne though....

skinnyc
s
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)
All units have ADSB out enabled.
All units are using SkyEcho only for ADSB out and in. No other ADSB equipment (like a transponder) is being used by anyone.
All units have ADSB light blinking.
All units are connected to their own SkyDemon and each has a unique hex code to match. There is no cross-sharing.

EHOW flyer said: "Aircraft not moving or moving below a preset speed in Skyecho will not transmit their position, so will not be seen by other Skyecho's."
The above statement does not match what we are seeing. All units have a Vso of 10. All units are stationary on the ground. Yet some of the units can see each other and therefore some units are broadcasting location despite being stationary.

skinnyc
s
Does anyone know how SkyDemon treats “on the ground” signals from SkyEcho 2.

uAvionix say that if an aircraft is moving at less than Vso knots, then SkyEcho 2 transmits an “on the ground” signal. Vso is a setting in SkyEcho 2 setup.

On getting this signal does SkyDemon still display the aircraft?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Yes, we just won't generate any warnings for it.
skinnyc
s
Tim Dawson - 4/13/2021 9:47:11 AM
Yes, we just won't generate any warnings for it.

Hi Tim,

I'm, not asking if you generate any warnings.

Here's what I want to know:

Two aircraft are stationary on the ground and their SyEcho2 units are both sending out an "on the ground signal".
Does SkyDemon show both aircraft on it's display? 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
It's not clear from your question which display you're talking about. Is this a display in a third aircraft, with a third ADS-B receiver? If so, the answer is yes.

If the display is in one of the two aircraft you're referring to, then hopefully it wouldn't display its own aircraft as traffic - it should already be displayed as the "ownship".

But as I said above, an ADS-B signal with the "on the ground" flag set is still displayed.

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Why would they show when they're on the ground? The whole idea of the 'on the ground' signal is so they don't show up and cause nuisance warnings to those in the air e.g. I don't want my receiving kit to see you at the holding point when I'm on Final and start bleating at me.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
PaulSS - 4/14/2021 4:41:08 PM
Why would they show when they're on the ground? The whole idea of the 'on the ground' signal is so they don't show up and cause nuisance warnings to those in the air e.g. I don't want my receiving kit to see you at the holding point when I'm on Final and start bleating at me.

It can display it without bleating about it. Good compromise if you ask me.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search