Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon for IPAD

Author
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Robertvandortmond - 3/22/2022 11:50:43 AM
Dear Grahamb,You seem to be very knowledgable on this subject! Maybe you can help me:- As a glider pilot I use a Lxnav S80 variometer. -With a bluetooth dongle from Naviter, the vario sends a lot of data to miPad for the glider navigation software SeeYou Navigator- I want to use SkyDemon, but my iPad is wifi only.Do you think SkyDemon will pick up the gps signal (all I want ), or do I still have buy a separate bluetooth gps receiver?Thank you!Robert

Have you tried it?

Normally when you pair a bluetooth GNSS type device to an iPad, the iPad will adopt the Bluetooth received location data whether or not the IiPad itself has an inbuilt GPS. 

If you can pair the dongle to your iPad. just press 'Go Flying' after first making sure you haven't got any third party devices selected in the Setup menu.

Robertvandortmond
R
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
Ok, thanks! I get my plane in May…
Robert
frankhopkins
f
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)
Is the iPad mini still considered the most practical for Skydemon - or is that advice very old??
BJS
B
Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)
frankhopkins - 3/26/2022 12:17:24 PM
Is the iPad mini still considered the most practical for Skydemon - or is that advice very old??

It all depends on your preferences. Apple iPad is still the recommendation, as it just works. What size is all up to you and you have to try. I started 10 inch, went Mini, found that fine for the medium flight hours skills, moved to the big Pro once I collected more flight hours. SOPs change and your needs change, so be prepared to change iPad size as well - just my opinion.

Andrew
A
Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)
frankhopkins - 3/26/2022 12:17:24 PM

In my view it's more about how you plan to physically use the iPad - will it be on a kneeboard (mini is probably better) or will you have it on a RAM mount that may/may not obscure other instruments on your panel.  I bought an iPad Air (10.9") and it's too large for a kneeboard, so am working on a RAM mounting - need to have it secure whichever way you use it given the number of accidents caused by devices jamming control sticks/rudder pedals in critical phases of flight

fingertrouble
f
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Weather updates, of course. But can you really get your GPS Position out of an iPhone - iPad connection.
I prefer the the cellular version just because it has a GPS built in, the Wifi only version must be used with some external (e.g, BT) GPS receiver. In our club all planes now have an air-avionics AT-1 traffic receiver which makes it‘s own Wifi. If you connect the iPad to this Wifi, you get your own position and SD (and othe apps) shows traffic around.
I also think that in the US SD is not as good as FF. In Europe you can easily access all freely available charts, in the US I didn‘t see any FAA charts available.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search