Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Including FIR boundary estimate in Pilot Log

Author
S
Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Re-posting here from other forum as seems more appropriate!

I would find it useful to have the International FIR boundary estimate on the PLOG (perhaps as a pseudo waypoint) as that’s often asked for by ATC.  I have learned from the other forum that I can press and hold and select “what’s here” to get it, and that its also on the ATC FPL (which I knew but it doesn’t update in flight obviously, not is easily accessible).  Obviously You can create a waypoint at the boundary but in doing so it often slightly changes the track in/out and if using many different routes means many different user waypoints.

Any thoughts?  Thank you.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
SamW - 11/6/2020 2:40:49 PM

I would find it useful to have the International FIR boundary estimate on the PLOG (perhaps as a pseudo waypoint) as that’s often asked for by ATC.  I have learned from the other forum that I can press and hold and select “what’s here” to get it, and that its also on the ATC FPL (which I knew but it doesn’t update in flight obviously, not is easily accessible).  Obviously You can create a waypoint at the boundary but in doing so it often slightly changes the track in/out and if using many different routes means many different user waypoints.

What's wrong with using the 'Press/What's here' technique? ATC/Info don't care on a VFR flight whether you actually hit that time, it's just to given them an idea.

Equally, what's the problem with having a waypoint on the boundary, even if it does create an ever so slightly different track to and from? You don't have to save it as a 'User Waypoint' it can just be saved as part of the route; it doesn't live anywhere else.

SamW
S
Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)Too Much Forum (270 reputation)
grahamb - 11/6/2020 2:53:33 PM
SamW - 11/6/2020 2:40:49 PM

What's wrong with using the 'Press/What's here' technique? ATC/Info don't care on a VFR flight whether you actually hit that time, it's just to given them an idea.

Equally, what's the problem with having a waypoint on the boundary, even if it does create an ever so slightly different track to and from? You don't have to save it as a 'User Waypoint' it can just be saved as part of the route; it doesn't live anywhere else.

Hi Graham, I totally get what you are saying, I just find it messy. I like to give ATC an accurate time and I don’t like kinks in straight legs! Just thought an FIR estimate might be an easy thing to slip into a plog, as it would be if I were to have a paper one.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
As it is advised to use a waypoint at the international border anyways for flight planning, you should have it in the log already?
SamW
S
Yes, what I’m suggesting is an auto generated one so that I can draw a straight line eg Dover to Calais and it will auto generate a waypoint at the FIR boundary.
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Usually there are a few candidates and how is Skydemon supposed to choose? And frankly, I never gave RINTI a second thought or even imagined someone flying that route does not have it openly tatooed ...
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search