Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

NOTAM filters out IFR by default

Author
DavidC
Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
iPad Version 3.14.2.254

I was caught out last week when checking the NOTAMs for my flight on my iPad. It didn't show the one NOTAM about the ILS being out of service but did show the other 7 NOTAMs. This is because the global default  is set to VFR filtering (e.g. after Start Again or Create Route) but that fact is not indicated anywhere on the NOTAM display page. Although it is written in the user manual, I was unaware that the default setting actively filters out NOTAMs. I have asked several other pilots whether they realised this was the case and nobody else was aware of it. I am concerned that I and others may have been missing important flight safety information through lack of awareness of how this feature works. 

So I'd like to suggest that the default mode is set to Mixed rather than VFR, including when using Start Again or Create Route.
I'd also like the flight rules mode to be displayed at the top of the NOTAM information page

Optional extras would be:
Global configuration option to set default flight rules
Ability to change the flight rules from within the NOTAM display page (e.g. an option on the configuration menu within that screen)

I am aware that the PC version of SkyDemon which I don't use does allow configuration of Flight Rules, even without a flight plan.

What was particularly odd was that I was sure I had seen that same NOTAM earlier in the week and without setting the flight rules at any time. The NOTAM number was 5698/20 and it expired on 31st August. It has just been replaced with 5955/20 expiring end October.

I am a huge fan of Skydemon, using it regularly several times a week, and relying on it as my primary source of NOTAMS, so it was quite a surprise to find this missing information which I only caught because it was announced on the ATIS.

--- CPL/IR/FI based in South of England
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
I'd vote to default show all NOTAM, no matter how they are labelled. Quite some times in the paste I found NOTAM relevant for VFR, but labelled IFR and frankly, many NOTAM labelled IFR would be nice to be recognized by any VFR pilot as well. I would even support to cancel the label completely and just show NOTAM, no matter how they are classified.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Systems should be fail-safe; the current way SD works in this area isn’t.

I think all NOTAM should be displayed by default unless the user chooses to filter out the IFR ones. How this is best done is up for discussion, but I believe the underlying principle should be observed.
robinbalen
r
Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)
Great suggestion. I must say this has caught me out before.
rg
rg
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)
And if you have IFR features enabled it should be a clue you want to see IFR notams.
glidermike
glidermike
Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)Too Much Forum (320 reputation)
robinbalen - 9/1/2020 9:56:44 AM
Great suggestion. I must say this has caught me out before.

I agree.
I would go a little further and suggest that the settings used should be stated in an appropriate place - e.g. the NOTAM pages of the briefing pack. 

Actually going a little further still, please present all user settings  somewhere - either a page in the briefing pack, or in a relevant place (e..g for MSA and obstacle clearance - on the bottom of the PLOG).

lhe
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
I second this proposal!

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
I agree. There’s another thread on a very similar issue.

Until ICAO sort out intelligent NOTAMs I think at the very least SD should show all NOTAMs by default

Value add would be to then allow user to set a none default of VFR or Mixed, but only if this Is annunciated or even better togglable on the NOTAM page itself
Edited 9/1/2020 3:47:36 PM by marioair
lmamane
l
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
While I recognise the utility for VFR pilots not to see IFR NOTAMs which would drown out NOTAMs relevant to them in non-relevant ones, I think:
1. This should at least be indicated on the NOTAM list; e.g. on the top "Filter: VFR" or "Filter: VFR next 24h" or whatever the filter is set to.
2. This VFR-only filtering should not be done, in the airport view, when IFR features are enabled.
3. It is debatable whether an IFR pilot filing a VFR flightplan wants to see IFR NOTAMs or not. I would err on the side of caution, and show IFR NOTAMs on a VFR flightplan on an account where IFR features are enabled. This could be an explicit per-flightplan setting.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
lmamane - 9/2/2020 10:48:46 AM
While I recognise the utility for VFR pilots not to see IFR NOTAMs which would drown out NOTAMs relevant to them in non-relevant ones, I think:
1. This should at least be indicated on the NOTAM list; e.g. on the top "Filter: VFR" or "Filter: VFR next 24h" or whatever the filter is set to.
2. This VFR-only filtering should not be done, in the airport view, when IFR features are enabled.
3. It is debatable whether an IFR pilot filing a VFR flightplan wants to see IFR NOTAMs or not. I would err on the side of caution, and show IFR NOTAMs on a VFR flightplan on an account where IFR features are enabled. This could be an explicit per-flightplan setting.

You always want to see all NOTAM, example, when an airport with IFR and VFR traffic changes SID and/or STAR by NOTAM, you definitely want to know that as a VFR pilot, because the heavy iron around you is appearing at a different place (don't ask why I know).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search