SkyDemon Forums

NOTAM filters out IFR by default

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32028.aspx

By lhe - 9/9/2020 8:25:20 AM

How is (non-)separation between VFR and IFR in class E/F/G relevant to NOTAMs?
By pauls - 9/9/2020 11:50:47 AM

lmamane - 9/9/2020 8:57:13 AM
lhe - 9/9/2020 8:25:20 AM
How is (non-)separation between VFR and IFR in class E relevant to NOTAMs?

pilot-byom was arguing that VFR pilots should read IFR NOTAMs so that they are appraised to NOTAMed changes to IFR SIDs, STARs and approaches, so that they can stay out of these paths. This is only relevant in class E/F/G, where VFR and IFR are not separated.

Remember a "VFR" pilot is better described as a "VMC" pilot as they can fly IFR too. 
By lmamane - 9/9/2020 2:37:26 PM

pauls - 9/9/2020 11:50:47 AM
Remember a "VFR" pilot is better described as a "VMC" pilot as they can fly IFR too. 

I'm not aware of any possibility for a pilot that doesn't have an IR (if not a "full" ICAO IR, then at least a restricted form of it like the British IR(R), IMC rating or the EASA EIR or BIR), which is what I meant by "VFR pilot", to fly IFR, unless with an IRI (but then the two-person crew has a member with an IR).
By pauls - 9/9/2020 3:12:06 PM

lmamane - 9/9/2020 2:37:26 PM
pauls - 9/9/2020 11:50:47 AM

I'm not aware of any possibility for a pilot that doesn't have an IR (if not a "full" ICAO IR, then at least a restricted form of it like the British IR(R), IMC rating or the EASA EIR or BIR), which is what I meant by "VFR pilot", to fly IFR, unless with an IRI (but then the two-person crew has a member with an IR).

You can fly IFR without an IR
Are you confusing IFR with IMC
By lmamane - 9/9/2020 3:31:51 PM

pauls - 9/9/2020 3:12:06 PM
Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 of 3 November 2011 laying down technical requirements and administrative procedures related to civil aviation aircrew pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council, Annex I, Subpart G, Section 1, FCL.600:
Except as provided in point FCL.835, operations under IFR on an aeroplane, helicopter, airship or powered-lift aircraft shall be conducted only by holders of a PPL, CPL, MPL and ATPL with an IR appropriate to the category of aircraft or, if an IR appropriate to the category of aircraft is not available, only while undergoing skill testing or dual instruction.
FCL.835 is the BIR, which will enter into force on 8 September 2021.
By pauls - 9/9/2020 3:50:30 PM

lmamane - 9/9/2020 3:31:51 PM
pauls - 9/9/2020 3:12:06 PM
Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 of 3 November 2011 laying down technical requirements and administrative procedures related to civil aviation aircrew pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council, Annex I, Subpart G, Section 1, FCL.600:
Except as provided in point FCL.835, operations under IFR on an aeroplane, helicopter, airship or powered-lift aircraft shall be conducted only by holders of a PPL, CPL, MPL and ATPL with an IR appropriate to the category of aircraft or, if an IR appropriate to the category of aircraft is not available, only while undergoing skill testing or dual instruction.
FCL.835 is the BIR, which will enter into force on 8 September 2021.

Sorry I was thinking of IR(R) folks here in the UK.

Anyway, even flying VFR there's plenty of IFR procedures that exist out of controlled airspace that I want to know about.

Going back to the original post - the request is to be able to set and know what setting was used for flight rules, in the NOTAM. I think this is REALLY important / safety of life matter. In the UK the CAA don't recognise things like Skydemon as an authoratative source for NOTAMs - things like this will add weight to that (misplaced) view 
By DavidC - 9/1/2020 8:44:18 AM

iPad Version 3.14.2.254

I was caught out last week when checking the NOTAMs for my flight on my iPad. It didn't show the one NOTAM about the ILS being out of service but did show the other 7 NOTAMs. This is because the global default  is set to VFR filtering (e.g. after Start Again or Create Route) but that fact is not indicated anywhere on the NOTAM display page. Although it is written in the user manual, I was unaware that the default setting actively filters out NOTAMs. I have asked several other pilots whether they realised this was the case and nobody else was aware of it. I am concerned that I and others may have been missing important flight safety information through lack of awareness of how this feature works. 

So I'd like to suggest that the default mode is set to Mixed rather than VFR, including when using Start Again or Create Route.
I'd also like the flight rules mode to be displayed at the top of the NOTAM information page

Optional extras would be:
Global configuration option to set default flight rules
Ability to change the flight rules from within the NOTAM display page (e.g. an option on the configuration menu within that screen)

I am aware that the PC version of SkyDemon which I don't use does allow configuration of Flight Rules, even without a flight plan.

What was particularly odd was that I was sure I had seen that same NOTAM earlier in the week and without setting the flight rules at any time. The NOTAM number was 5698/20 and it expired on 31st August. It has just been replaced with 5955/20 expiring end October.

I am a huge fan of Skydemon, using it regularly several times a week, and relying on it as my primary source of NOTAMS, so it was quite a surprise to find this missing information which I only caught because it was announced on the ATIS.